Please Help Me Figure Out This Beautiful Cake!!!

Decorating By joquita Updated 31 Oct 2005 , 9:18pm by PerryStCakes

joquita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joquita Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 11:53am
post #1 of 27

I found this absolutely beautiful castle cake online and would like to **try** to do something similar for my daughter's first birthday. I know it will take a lot of practice and trial and error, but I'd like to at least give it a shot. I have some questions that I need help with before I can get started though.

What size round do you think make the bottom 2 tiers?

How in the world would you make that 3rd tier? And that little circular piece in the middle? I just can't figure it out. Definitely need some creative help from you experts!

I'm thinking i could use ice cream cones for the tops. Would you cover them in bc and then put fondant over that?

oh, so many questions!!!! thanks so much for your help!

26 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 27

where is the picture? is there a link to it?

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 27

Can you post a pic of the cake?

joquita Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 27

oops...the pic didn't show up. let me try that again! sorry!
LL

joquita Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 27

that's better..thanks for looking!

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 27

Wouldn't using the cake baked in a soup can method work for the tourettes?

They look like they would be the perfect size.

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 27

Maybe the bottom two are 10 and 8 or 12 in 8 maybe just my quess and yes they look like soup can cakes. Hope this helps

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 27

If you have the really small round pans, like a 3 or 4 inch round, you could stack those also to make the turrets... You probably could cover the sugar cones (ice cream cones) and put for the tops of the turrets on the castle. You probably could use a 10 or 12" pan for the bottom. You could use the 3" deep pans if you had them... I'd do an 12" for the bottom and an 8" for the top on the 3" deep pans..

Everything on the picture of the cake looks to be in fondant.. the tops of the turrets have a shimmer to them so they may have been dusted with some shimmer/luster dust ... If you decide to make this cake, let us know how it turns out and remember, post a picture of it for us to see!! Good luck!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 27

i did one very similar, it's in my photos...the only thing is i didnt use fondant. i used a 10" for the bottom and a 6" for the top..and then i made the top piece by wrapping paper towel rolls in wax paper and then coating them with crusting buttercream..i left them in the fridge for a week and they were hard as a rock, which is good, b/c then you can handle then when you put it on the cake. and then i did the same thing with the cones...so after a week, i "glued" the cones to the rolls with icing and then i placed them together with icing and held that top part together with a string, so that they would stay in place on their own. and when i put them on the cake, i used dowel rods that reached from the top of the cone to the bottom of the cake, so that it wouldn't move for sure.

hope that helps..feel free to ask questions..

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 27

For my castle cake I used a stack of oreo-type cookies for the turrets... just glued them together with some royal or BC first, then covered them in BC and wrapped them in fondant. Definately use ice cream cones for the top... very easy, though if you've got a lot of patience you can make them from fondant.

joquita Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 27

Thanks so much for the help. I think i'll give the soup cans a try and if that doesn't work try and get ahold of some small round pans. You think a 3" pan would work for the bottom two? I was going to do 2- 2" for each, but a 3" would be so much simpler. I might just have to go with that for convenience! On the sugar cones, would you first cover them with buttercream before putting on the fondant so that the seams and ridges of the cone wouldn't show through? I'm assuming that I will wrap the fondant around the cone and then have to form the seam together, correct? Is it hard to hide the seam? I'm obviously a novice cake maker! I'll post pics if I end up doing this cake, but I might just find out that it is way out of my league right now! Oh well, it will be fun and good practice anyways!

joquita Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 27

cakefairy18- i'll take a look at those for sure. thanks of the instructions as well. I'll probably have more questions for you when I get around to actually doing it, if you don't mind!

melc- oreas are also a good idea! I'll have to experiment with both and see what works better for the size! I'm always up for new ideas!

Thanks again for all the replies! I really appreciate being able to ask all my silly questions! Could never do it without you guys!

kakesbyrobin Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 27

That oreo idea is pretty cool. icon_biggrin.gif

When I make a cake I like for everything to be edible. icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 2:19pm
post #14 of 27

I really like the oreo idea too. Don't know how many people this needs to serve, but if you did the oreos you could probably get away with 10" & 6" pans. Yes, cover the cones with BC before fondant. Otherwise the fondant won't stick. Unless you brushed the cones with water, but then you'd have soggy cones. icon_razz.gif

kakesbyrobin Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 27

Would painting the cones with a syrup of melted and cooled jam help the fondant to stick without making the cones soft?

joquita Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 27

ok..thought of some more ?'s. Hope you don't mind! i've never tinted fondant before. I don't have a cake supply store anywhere near me (actually don't even have a bakery) so i'm going to have to order the colors online. Which brand would you recommend? If i'm trying for colors similar to those in the picture, which color would you use??? It's so hard to tell from the little bitty squares on the websites. Thought those of you with more experience might be able to point me in the right direction. I don't mind buying a few and experimenting, but i'd rather not buy every shade of pink, purple, green, etc. if i can help it. hope i'm not being too much of a pain. i really do appreciate all the help and i'm in awe of some of your cakes that i've been browsing through!!!!

MelC Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joquita

ok..thought of some more ?'s. Hope you don't mind! i've never tinted fondant before. I don't have a cake supply store anywhere near me (actually don't even have a bakery) so i'm going to have to order the colors online. Which brand would you recommend? If i'm trying for colors similar to those in the picture, which color would you use??? It's so hard to tell from the little bitty squares on the websites. Thought those of you with more experience might be able to point me in the right direction. I don't mind buying a few and experimenting, but i'd rather not buy every shade of pink, purple, green, etc. if i can help it. hope i'm not being too much of a pain. i really do appreciate all the help and i'm in awe of some of your cakes that i've been browsing through!!!!

I order most of my colours on-line from www.creativecutters.com

If you e-mail them and send them the photo (with assurances that you're not going to hold them responsible if the colour isn't exactly right), they will suggest a couple of colours that will be close. (I've done this before with a red I was trying to achieve and couldn't tell from the little swatches ... what they sent me was great!)

My preference with fondant is to use powdered colours rather than paste, but with soft tones, either one will work fine (you need so much paste to get the stronger colours that the fondant can get sticky)

joquita Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 27

melc- thanks for the link. I e-mailed them so hopefully they'll be able to help me! I really appreciate all the support!!!!

joquita Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 27

another question for you! how would i go about making the little pink balls? I can't imagine I would be able to make them very uniform by hand. Could I use a pearl mold and then cut them apart? I don't know!!! thanks again!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:50pm
post #20 of 27

On Earlene Moore's site she tells how to make fondant pearls. To make them a consistent size, you roll out your dough to a certain thickness then use your tips as cutters, she even gives pearl sizes in mm for each tip. If you want larger balls you can always flip the tip upside down and use that to cut.

joquita Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 2:14pm
post #21 of 27

Thanks soooo much! What a great tutorial on making pearls! I really appreciate it! I never would have thought of that. I would've been trying to make them uniform by eye-balling it...probably wouldn't have looked too great! icon_smile.gif

joquita Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 8:47am
post #22 of 27

okay...think i've about got it figured out! Now i just have to get practicing! i was wondering if you could help me come up with a good timeline for making the actual cake. For instance, if her party is going to be on a saturday, how much of it can i do ahead of time??? How far in advance can i make the fondant decorations, How long will the cake stay fresh at room temp, etc., etc.? please keep in mind that it probably takes me 10 times longer to do anything since i'm such a beginner. thanks sooooo much for your help!!! I love all the support i've been getting from cc!

MelC Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 1:03pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joquita

okay...think i've about got it figured out! Now i just have to get practicing! i was wondering if you could help me come up with a good timeline for making the actual cake. For instance, if her party is going to be on a saturday, how much of it can i do ahead of time??? How far in advance can i make the fondant decorations, How long will the cake stay fresh at room temp, etc., etc.? please keep in mind that it probably takes me 10 times longer to do anything since i'm such a beginner. thanks sooooo much for your help!!! I love all the support i've been getting from cc!

Make the fondant decorations ASAP, including the towers if they are not cake filled.
I have a day job, so the rest of the timeline is assuming you only have evenings during the week...

Fondant covered cake will stay fresh for several days at room temp, as long as you don't use a terribly perishable filling for the cake. If you're using a scratch cake, you may want to brush it with a simple syrup before crumb coating as they do dry out a bit faster than box cakes.

Hope this helps!

Bake the cake on Wednesday, cool & wrap. Refrigerate

Thursday assemble, fill & crumb coat. Put it in the fridge until the crumbcoat is firm, then wrap in plastic wrap and return to the fridge.

Friday, take the cake out and allow to warm up slightly while you are rolling the fondant (if that's what you're using) If you've used a crusting BC to crumb coat, you may need to add another THIN layer just before you add the fondant (so the fondant sticks!). Make sure the cake is COMPLETELY covered and leave it out overnight (do not refrigerate for more than a few minutes at this point!)

Saturday AM... assemble & decorate! If you are using dusts to get the shimmer, do that after you assemble, but b4 the final details are added.

IF you have the opportunity to work on it during the week days, you can bake, assemble & refrigerate early on Friday, fondant it Friday afternoon and decorate Saturday.. Definately let the fondant firm up at least overnight if you can... it's much easier to work with than fresh (do as I say, not as I do... I work on fresh fondant all the time, but it's a pain)

Lindascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindascakes Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:59pm
post #24 of 27

This is a simple technique that you can do! I would recomend purchasing the Wilton 2006 catolog. It has pictures and step by step instructions on stacking cakes. It will tell you what size round cake to use for the amount of guest you will have. You can vist there website as well. It's free and will be very helpfull.

Here is anohter great website for step by step instructions for all your cake decorating needs. You'll love this very helpful website.

Have fun! You picked a great cake to start with. The sugar cones would work perfect for the top of the castle. Great idea! your on you way.

Decorating 101

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/101_intro.htm

Linda

joquita Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:47pm
post #25 of 27

MelC- Thanks so much for the timeline! that was very helpful! I e-mailed creativecutters and haven't heard back from them yet. Does it usually take them a little while to respond? Hopefully I'll hear from them soon! I can't wait to get started!

lindascakes- thanks for the link! lots of helpful info on that site!

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:11pm
post #26 of 27

There is a castle cake in the wilton cake decorating book- beginners guide with step by step instructions, have you seen this one? It's not quiet as elaborate as the one above, but it's cute none the less. pm me if you want me to email you this, as I can't figure out how to add an attatchment to the forum.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 9:18pm
post #27 of 27

You make the triangle tops by combining fondant and gumpaste (50/50 ratio) and set it? You can make the mold by cutting out the cardboard paper towel rolls - cutting a rectangle, roll it into that shape, tape it closed. Then put the gumpaste/fondant mix (rolled out & cut into rectangle) over it in that shape?

Does that make sense? I wish I could demonstrate what I mean. Its so hard to write it out and have it make sense...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%