Syrup To Keep Cakes Moist?

Decorating By Jenni Updated 15 Mar 2005 , 4:28pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

Jenni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone use a syrup coating on their cakes to keep them moist? If so, what kind of syrup, how much do you use, and how do you apply it?
Just curious...
Thanks!

7 replies
flamingo_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingo_cakes Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 12:34am
post #2 of 8

Hi!
I am not an expert but I use 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. I boil the water to dissolve the sugar and then I place the mixture in the refrigerator to cool. I simply brush on with a pastry brush or use a spray bottle. As I said I am not an expert but it works for me. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:12am
post #3 of 8

Thank you-I'll have to try that!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=579&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30 - this is the recipe that cali4dawn uses, the post with the recipe is about 2/3 way down the page on this post

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Mouse!! You kept me from looking for it.

smiling1809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smiling1809 Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 12:23am
post #6 of 8

Has anyone ever poked holes in thier cake and done this??? Also, has anyone ever tried doing this with Eagle Brand milk? I have had tres' leches and it wasn't soggy at all, I was just curious if anyone had tried using just Eagle Brand instead of simple syrup. I am too chicken to try it.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 8

Smiling.... I can eat eagle brand right out of the can!!!! OH..... it's soooo good. Pouring it on top of a cake sounds wonderful!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 8

I've never poked large holes in my cake as yo do with a jell-o cake. I have however especially with a dry cake) taken my fork and poked the heck out of it. I especially do this around the edges if only the edges are dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%