Chocolate Buttercream/chocolate Ganache

Baking By Wandootie Updated 11 Nov 2005 , 12:55am by izzybee

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 22

Hello!

Need a good recipe for Chocolate Buttercream and Chocolate Ganache. I will be doing a Groom's Cake for my niece's wedding and this is what the Groom wants his cake to be.

Also, need instructions for using the ganache once made.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Weezer

21 replies
Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 22

cc

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 22

thumbs_up.gif SquirrellyCakes just added a ganache recipe in another post and I've copied it down.
You might pm her and ask for a recipe for a chocolate buttercream also.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 22

The Chocolate Syrup Frosting Recipe in the recipe section of this site is REALLY good and easy to make. I used it under my last ganache cake. Sometimes (and I hate to even mention this in a large gathering of such wonderful and experienced cake decorators) I make a batch of regular buttercream and add a couple of tubs of Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting. So wrong yet SOOOO good. And girls, before you start throwing spatulas at me, I will bet I am not the only one who does this. Or am I.

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 7:39am
post #5 of 22

I make my buttercream as usual and add about 3/4 cup cocoa to it, it is really good. That's for the 3 cup recipe. I don't have any suggestions on the ganache, sorry, never used it. Hope this helps.

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 22

GUILTY icon_surprised.gif of mixing tubs of frosting with homemade buttercream a few times...I had a last minute order of a chocolate strawberry cake with strawberry icing...so I just made my buttercream and added a tub of Duncan Hines strawberry supreme to it...it was wonderful. shhh.gif

Just so I don't get my spatula taken away...I've only done this twice!! Honest! icon_wink.gif

Peggy

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:34am
post #7 of 22

A simple ganache that has worked for me lately is:

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup shortening
2 1/4 tablespoons of water
3 tablespoons of corn syrup (optional)

Melt until smooth in a double boiler.

-Lazy

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:50am
post #8 of 22

I've had a lot of good compliments on the chocolate frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. I put a little more vanilla in it and I think the recipe has to be doubled.

Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:55am
post #9 of 22

Hi Wandootie! You can try this recipes. I made them before and I really like them. They`re yammy!!
Hope this can help! thumbs_up.gif
Good Luck!!
Bye!
Sory.

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
This is the best chocolate buttercream icing ever. The icing is rich, like mousse, and outrageously delicious.

Ingredients:

2 cups (1 lb or 454 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (115 g) vegetable shortening
3 lbs (1.36 kg) 10X confectioners' sugar
1 cup (110 g) Dutch processed cocoa powder
3 Tbsp meringue powder
1 tsp salt
5 fl oz (150 ml) chocolate liqueur (i.e., Godiva or another)
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups (1 lb or 454 g) refrigerated Ganache
Preparation:
1. First, prepare the Ganache. Refrigerate until firm.
2. Cream the butter and shortening for 2 minutes. Stop to scrape the bowl. Cream the mixture for an additional 60 seconds.
3. Sieve cocoa powder and confectioners' sugar together. Add the sugar mixture 1 cup at a time to the creamed butter and shortening. Mix until well blended. Add meringue powder and salt and beat for one minute. Mixture will appear dry.
4. Add milk, vanilla extract, and chocolate liqueur to the buttercream. Beat until well combined.
5. Add Ganache, 1 cup at a time and beat until light and fluffy.
Storage: Store the icing in an airtight container and freeze. The icing will keep for up to 2 months.
Yield: 2 1/2 to 3 quarts (2.37 to 2.85 L)

GANACHE
This chocolate cream icing is a pastry chef's staple. Use it to glaze a cake or, when it cools, whip it to a piping consistency.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups (12 fl oz or 360 ml) heavy cream
1 lb (454 g) semisweet or bittersweet dark chocolate

Preparation:

1. In a heavy saucepan, boil heavy cream. Turn off the heat. Add chopped chocolate pieces and let it rest until melted. Use a rubber spatula to stir the mixture until all the pieces are melted.
2. Pour it into a room-temperature bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the ganache until firm.
Note: For White Chocolate Ganache, substitute white chocolate for semisweet or bittersweet dark chocolate.
Storage: Store the icing in an airtight container and refrigerate. The icing will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Yield: 3 1/2 cups (800 g)
This recipe yields enough to glaze one cake, or more than enough to make one recipe of Chocolate Buttercream. To make a half recipe of the buttercream (enough to frost one cake), make a third of a recipe of the ganache, using 1/2 cup cream and 1/3 lb chocolate.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:00am
post #10 of 22

HHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Buttercream mixed with tub icing huh? HHHhhhmmmmmmmm.

Do you pipe with it??? And it's not too soft?????

Sory Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:17am
post #11 of 22

Well... I guess you can do it. icon_rolleyes.gif The times I use it was to ice the cakes and then cover them with fondant. icon_biggrin.gif I won`t lie to you, I haven`t try it just by it self, yet. icon_lol.gif
Bye.
Sory.

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:47am
post #12 of 22

Kerri,

I confess!! I always had a hard time making a chocolate buttercream that tastes good, so I like you thought why not!! I put a tub of store bought chocolate icing in with my regular buttercream icing and it turned out pretty good!! I'm with you, there are probably more of us out there, who just don't want to admit it!!!

~luraleigh~

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:48am
post #13 of 22

Kerri,

I confess!! I always had a hard time making a chocolate buttercream that tastes good, so I like you thought why not!! I put a tub of store bought chocolate icing in with my regular buttercream icing and it turned out pretty good!! I'm with you, there are probably more of us out there, who just don't want to admit it!!!

~luraleigh~

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:57am
post #14 of 22

I make Wilton's class buttercream, substituting some butter for and equivalent amount of crisco...then add powdered cocoa til I'm happy with the COLOR! I use butter and vanilla flavorings. I think it's wonderful. And it smells luscious.

Also made cinnamon buttercream recently. Oh wow.....it was wonderful.

Sory Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 5:01am
post #15 of 22

Ooohh, well, I don`t like the way Crisco tastes, but you can substitute most of the butter for "Butter Flavor Crisco", so that way you can decorate. icon_biggrin.gif
Bye!
Sory.

kerririchards Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 1:08pm
post #16 of 22

Hey Sory, I have that same recipe for the chocolate buttercream with the liquer in it. I have always wanted to try it, but just havn't gotten around to it.

And Phoov, I do pipe with the buttercream with the (2) tubs of chocolate fudge icing in it. I just add them before I add my liquid so I know how much water I need - which is not as much as usual. That way the decorations don't get soft. And it is good under ganache or just by itself. YUM!

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 22

Wow I never thought to add the tub of chocolate to the buttecream. Thanks for that tip.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:25pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerririchards

The Chocolate Syrup Frosting Recipe in the recipe section of this site is REALLY good and easy to make. I used it under my last ganache cake. Sometimes (and I hate to even mention this in a large gathering of such wonderful and experienced cake decorators) I make a batch of regular buttercream and add a couple of tubs of Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting. So wrong yet SOOOO good. And girls, before you start throwing spatulas at me, I will bet I am not the only one who does this. Or am I.

icon_redface.gif I have done this too! It is the only way I've gotten a darker chocolate color in my buttercream. And it tastes sooooo good!!

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:30pm
post #19 of 22

Sory, thanks for detail recipe.
It will surely helpful for me. I will try it.

Thanks again
Nitu

Sory Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:16pm
post #20 of 22

Ohh, thank you! Anytime!! thumbs_up.gif

kerririchards Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 5:02pm
post #21 of 22

Ok, the way I look at buttercream with tubs of Bettty Crocker thrown in is this . . . it is ALL about the taste! You are still making your buttercream - and adding ingredients that you get from the store, just like your extracts and sugar, etc. It just happens that this PARTICULAR ingredient is so wonderfully good. You are not really just decorating and frosting with the Betty Crocker alone. And if you think about it, most bakeries go to a bakery supply and buy bags of cake mix and large tubs of frosting pre-made. So you are still making your own and tailoring it to each customer instead of "one kind fits all". And it sure saves time when you get one of those last minute cake orders, or you have 2 or 3 orders to get out on the same day!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 12:55am
post #22 of 22

Here is a good pourable ganache that can also be whipped for frosting. I use it all the time:

8 oz. semisweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream

Melt the chocolate with the cream in a double boiler. When done, if pouring to cover a cake do while it is warm. If whipping, bring to room temp. first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%