Almond Or Hazelnut Milk In Cake Mix?

Baking By ilithiya Updated 14 Mar 2005 , 10:00pm by Ladycake

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 2:02am
post #1 of 16

My sweetie brought home some almond milk and some hazelnut milk from work some time ago... I've been trying to figure out what to use them for (I can only eat so much kheer!) and I was wondering if anyone had used nut milks as a substitute for the water in cake mixes.

I was thinking the almond would go nicely in a white, the hazelnut in a chocolate fudge, and either of the two in a french vanilla.

Ideas, anyone? (What about adding some finely chopped nuts to the batter as well before baking?)

Thank you!
Illy

15 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilithiya

My sweetie brought home some almond milk and some hazelnut milk from work some time ago... I've been trying to figure out what to use them for (I can only eat so much kheer!) and I was wondering if anyone had used nut milks as a substitute for the water in cake mixes.

I was thinking the almond would go nicely in a white, the hazelnut in a chocolate fudge, and either of the two in a french vanilla.

Ideas, anyone? (What about adding some finely chopped nuts to the batter as well before baking?)

Thank you!
Illy

I use Flavered coffee creamers (liquid) in my cakes and in my frostings I would think that your nut milk would be just fine and have a good taste... If my recipe calles for say 1 1/4 cups of liquid I add a bit of the creamer depends on the day and then fill the rest with either water or reg milk.

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 16

You can use the milk in place of the water.
In fact, when I was taking my Wilton cake decorating classes, my instructor told us that using milk helps make the cakes "sturdier" and less likely to break when you're handling them and moving them around.

Ladycake Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 16

yes using milk in your cake mix makes your cake heavier..

ilithiya Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 16

*nods* I hate using water in cake mixes... it just tastes "off" to me. I usually use evaporated milk, which works nicely, and want to try half & half as well. I'm fairly certain condensed milk won't be as good, since it's so darned sugary.

Illy

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 16

I use everything except water!! heheheh

Even fruit juices!!

ilithiya Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 16

Now that's an idea! *laughs* Have you ever had anything *not* work?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 16

I'm sorry ~ but ~ nut milk? How do you get milk from a nut other than a coconut? I've never heard of nut milk before... icon_lol.gif

Debbie

ilithiya Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 16

The basic way of making nut milk is to chop up some nuts, soak them in a small amount of water for some time, pour the mess into a cheesecloth (over a second bowl, you want to keep the liquid), squeeze the liquid out of the nuts... lather, rinse, repeat. There's better instructions out there on the 'net.

It's kind of a tedious process, but why mess with something that's been done for centuries?

My sweetie works for Pacific Foods here in Oregon, and they make the stuff... around here, it's about $3 retail for a 32oz "juice box". Try looking for the pre-packaged stuff in the store where they keep the non-refrig juices and soymilk.

Illy

Ladycake Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilithiya

Have you ever had anything *not* work?

More then you want to admit to... LOL ...

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 16

Oh gosh... I have stuff mess up all the time... but this happens when you're not afraid to take a risk. Good things are not discovered by people sitting on the side lines. You have to not be afraid to try something that people say can't be done.

I was told you could not do brushed embroidery over ganache. Welp... after I posted my picture I bet ladycakes site had 5 ganache cakes with brushed embroidery posted that week alone. Had I not tried it, neither would anyone else....

What have I got to lose????? One cake??? Is that all??? Go for it!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 16

I'll try anything once ~ and twice if it works!

Debbie icon_lol.gif

Ladycake Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

I was told you could not do brushed embroidery over ganache. Welp... after I posted my picture I bet ladycakes site had 5 ganache cakes with brushed embroidery posted that week alone.

Aint that a fact.... LOL I remember that day...

Ladycake Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

I'll try anything once ~ and twice if it works!

Debbie icon_lol.gif

Some times three times but that done mean its going to work all of them times you have to keep trying and fixing things to make it work... And remember just because I can do something with a recipe dont mean that its going to work for everyone...

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 9:46pm
post #15 of 16

But don't you dare strap a parachute to my back--- nu-uh!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Ladycake Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

But don't you dare strap a parachute to my back--- nu-uh!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Why not Scott jumps out of good Air Planes why cant you ... LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%