Dream Whip Icing Recipe?

Baking By dragonwarlord1969 Updated 11 Jun 2014 , 1:58pm by SisH

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 43

Does anyone know where the recipe is? I found it once but I can't seem to find it again. icon_cry.gif Also, has anyone piped with it? If so, good/bad results?

thanks,
Joe

42 replies
nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 43

I am not sure if this is the one you are looking for, but this is the one that I use. It pipes wonderfully. Not too sweet. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-711.html

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 43

Here is the Dream Whip icing recipe that I have:

1-1/3c Crisco shortening
1/2 envelope of Dream Whip
2 teaspoons chear flavoring of your choice

Whip at high speed for 7-10 minutes

Then add:
2 # Powdered sugar
1/2c flour
2/3 to 3/4 c. milk (less for stiff consistency)

Whip at high speed for another 7-10 minutes. Then set mixer at low speed and mix for a few minutes!

I haven't tried it yet! Let me know if you do and if it's any good or not!

Thanks!!

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 43

Thanks MrsMissey!! I will be trying it tomorrow and will post my results!!

Joe

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 43

With this icing do you have to use milk? Can you use coffee cream? Do you have to keep the cake in the fridge because of the milk? Can you use water instead of milk?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 4:34am
post #6 of 43

here is my version of the dream whip bc icing. I don't use milk but water. It is the best icing I have ever used and I use it for all my party cakes. It is great to work with, crusts enough for designs etc and is not too sweet either. Everyone loves it.

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
2 cups crisco shortening

1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream.

Jan

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 4:36am
post #7 of 43

I also started adding 2 Tbsp to 1/4 flour to this recipe and it also cuts on sweetness and aids in crusting. Works well.

letseatcake Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 9:04am
post #8 of 43

Thanks. I can't wait to try it.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 1:50am
post #9 of 43

Is dream whip also cool whip? I get confused on some words on here we use different names for things here in the south. icon_smile.gif Thanks!

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:34am
post #10 of 43

Dream Whip is a powder that is usually sold by Jello and puddings. In my opinion, I think it tastes better then cool whip.

Joe

tcturtleshell Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:26am
post #11 of 43

Thanks Joe, I've never heard of it! Going grocery shopping tomorrow I'll look for it. ~Tina~

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 11:29am
post #12 of 43

Thanks Janzcakes!

I tried your recipe and it turned out great! My wife loved it. It was not too sweet and works well with the cake. I decided to try the non-milk version because I would not want spoilage if the cake was left in a warm spot. I'm taking the cake to work for opinions. I will post their opinions later tonight.

Joe

tcturtleshell Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 43

Hey Joe,

I found the dream whip at the base commissary. It was $2 a box!! That price nearly blew me over!! I decided not to get it this time. But I will try it one day. Does 1 box go a long way? I was shocked at the price especially being at the commissary! It must be a lot more off base. ~TC~

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:31am
post #14 of 43

Hi TC!

$2 per box is pretty good here in frigid Michigan. The cheapest I found it was $3.49 per box. I used the store brand and that was $1.39. Using Janzcakes recipe, I was able to ice an 8" round cake and had enough left over to probably do another!! Each box has 3 envelopes in it. I did not decorate it as I was just seeking opinions at work.

Joe

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:39am
post #15 of 43

I made a devil's food box mix (cuz it was on sale thumbs_up.gif ) and everybody LOVED it. THANK YOU JANZCAKES icon_biggrin.gif !! Some of the responses I go was:

Not as sweet as most frostings

It's so light and fluffy (that was the #1 response)

It's not overpowering like some frostings

Pretty much those were the majority of compliments I received. Nobody said anything bad about it. It was sampled by about 15 people. This is the frosting I will be doing for my daughters birthday icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Joe

tcturtleshell Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 4:42am
post #16 of 43

I'll have to look for the store brand then. Thanks~ Glad the recipe worked for you~

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:09pm
post #17 of 43

don't laugh, but i have never heard of dream whip. icon_confused.gif what does the package look like? i wonder if i can find it at my commissary?

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 11:49pm
post #18 of 43

If you go to www.kraftfoods.com and look under brands, there should be a pic there. If you can't find one, let me know. I will scan mine in for you!

letseatcake Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 1:12am
post #19 of 43

Have anyone ever made it chocolate? If so how do you?

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 1:20am
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by letseatcake

Have anyone ever made it chocolate? If so how do you?

I have never done it but I would think that you could add chocolate syrup to make it ...

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 5:29am
post #21 of 43

Diane, you should be busy making a wedding cake!! icon_biggrin.gif I didn't know what dream whip was either til Joe told me where to find it. I found it at my commissary (Barksdale AFB, Louisiana) on top shelf right above puddings & jello's. It was $2 for one box here! Let me know how much it is there. Joe said there is 3 pkgs in each box. I'll try it one day.

Get to baking that cake woman~ icon_lol.gif Good luck by the way!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 2:39pm
post #22 of 43

I get my dream whip in bulk and it's a lot cheaper. Check out www.foodservicedirect.com !

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 4:30pm
post #23 of 43

what does the dream whip icing taste like? is it better than buttercream?

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 9:55pm
post #24 of 43

Hi Diane,
Dream whip frosting is lighter and fluffier then buttercream. My wife says it tastes life professional frosting but not like buttercream. It tastes to me like a think cool whip, but sweeter. I hope I made sense. Janzcakes version will become my choice of frosting after I tweek it a little to make it my own version. thumbs_up.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 10:49pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

I get my dream whip in bulk and it's a lot cheaper. Check out www.foodservicedirect.com

Thanks for sharing that MrsMissey..

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 3:19pm
post #26 of 43

I tried Janzcakes recipe for Dream whip frosting last night. It crusted beautifully, and tasted great. The one comment I got from both of my grown up son's was loose the salt. They both said that they could taste the salt in it, but other than that it was great. I only used 1/2 tsp like the recipe said, so the next time I'll try not using any salt. I also added 1/4 cup of flour. Thanks for the great recipe Janzcakes. Everyones ideas, and help on here are greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Wilma

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 12:25am
post #27 of 43

Hi Wilma,

How long to you whip it for? I've made the recipe twice now and it turned out great! I only used 2T od flour and the salt and it was perfect, no salty taste. I also whipped it for about 3-5 minutes once all the ingredients were mixed.

Joe

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 7:51pm
post #28 of 43

Hi Joe,

I whipped it about 8-10 minutes. I think that the recipe turned out great, as did my kids. The salt thing I think is an individual thing, as there has been some heart issues in our family, and we use salt in cooking but no added salt. I put the left over icing in the fridge overnight, and the salty taste was gone, so possibly it hadn't absorbed completely yet. This is a great recipe and I plan to continue using it. Some icing recipes call for salt while others don't, so I feel it is a personal prefernce icon_razz.gif

Wilma

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 11:07pm
post #29 of 43

Hi Wilma,

I'm the same way. I never add salt and I can taste salt in things my wife can't. thumbsdown.gif So, you are right about the salt being a personal thing. icon_smile.gif

Joe

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 10:20pm
post #30 of 43

I tried Janzcakes recipie and I loved the taste but I think it was too soft. I added about 4 TBS of flour to it. Should I have added more powdered sugar or more flour? I followed the recipie to a "T." Also, I didn't notice it crust over, but I made the cake and had to deliver pretty soon after. How long does it take to crust?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%