Trouble With Icing Square Cakes, Any Advice?

Decorating By bakingupastorm Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 8:28pm by JanH

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have a square wedding cake coming up on March 3.

I have iced square cakes before but am never quite satisfied with my end result, especially after seeing some of the masterpieces here. I am a perfectionist by nature (I wave my "freak flag" proudly, LOL) and really want to prefect this technique soon.

I have tried the paint scraper method and it just doesn't seem to work for me like it does for others. (The icing always sticks to the scraper and pulls away from the cake, then I have crumbs in my icing, then I have a meltdown. icon_cry.gif )

I have also tried the tutorial located on the homepage and ended up with icing sticking to the spatula. I must be inept.

I just want to ice a square cake and have it turn out like this...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-98383

Is that too much to ask?

I must give props to SweetArt for the exaple photo-thank you!

4 replies
caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 5

I just did my first square this past weekend. It's not easy!
I used the icing tip to put an even base layer of icing on and evened it out without paying too much attention to corners. Put the cake in the freezer to set the icing.
Then I went to work on the corners. Don't use a turntable- you want the cake to remain still. I built up each corner with more icing, then using a BENCH SCRAPER, scraped each side, going past the corner and off the cake- all one quick swipe. (Spatulas didn't work-were not stiff/sturdy enough and have that rounded end!)
Then turn the cake, and when starting the next side, sort of slightly wrap the scraper around the side you just finished ( not too much or you'll round off the corner), then scrape that side.
Keep popping the cake in the refrig to allow the icing to set. It worked- nice crisp corners! Not as good as some I've seen here, bu tbetter than expected. I'll try to post a pic next week .

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5

I have not tried setting the icing in the freezer. That seems like something even I could handle! Thank you.

1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 5

Hi,
One additional tip:
I use a tall heat-proof container filled with boiling water and dip my spatula/bench scraper etc.. into the water being careful to wipe dry, be certain to allow the item to heat up in the water.
Also you can use a crockpot or small coffee warmer if you intend to take a while.
Be certain not to go over the same area too many times with the hot utensil as it will glaze the icing, make sure you are fairly happy with the smoothing prior to the hot method.
HTH
Joan
1dessertdiva

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%