Spiderman Cake Finished!

Decorating By Lisa Updated 4 May 2005 , 5:03am by Lisa

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 40

Hi everyone! I finished the spiderman cake for my nephew. I want to thank everyone for their help especially Melissa who gave me directions. I took pictures of each step. The party is this afternoon! I'm really nervous about transporting Spidey. He's very heavy. I doubled the cake board but I'm beginning to think I should have tripled it. We'll see...

Wig head, 2 10" rounds and an 8" round quartered.

I trim off the edges to make it easier to ice.

Here he is iced in buttercream.

I airbrushed him red. I took these last night so they're a little dark.

Now he has his webs. This and the rest of the cake went pretty quickly.

Here he is finished. Big OOPS! on the spider being crooked. There is a larger pic in the gallery.

Here's Spidey's back.

39 replies
Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 40

wow...you did an awesome job! Thanks so much for posting step by step pictures! How long did it take you to finish? Did you use crusting buttercream and then smoothed it? It is just so GOOD! thumbs_up.gif
I have to practice my buttercream skills...

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 40

Outstanding job.... I never thought of using the Wig head to do this....

charlotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlotte Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 40

I sure am impressed! Great job.

Charlotte

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 40

Yes- what an awesome job! I am soo glad it worked out for you!!! Thanks for the pics, they are really helpful!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 40

wow, that is awesome. you did a great job!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 40

Lisa, that is absolutely perfect! Thanks for taking the time to give all the details...it is very much appreciated! I'm sure that child was tickled to no end!!! thumbs_up.gif

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 40

Wow! Great job! What were the reactions from the kids? thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 2:13am
post #9 of 40

Thanks everyone! Spidey made the 30 minute commute no problem...what a relief! My nephew loved it...by the time the candles were blown out he had already licked one eye off icon_smile.gif . He turned 3 and I think that's a sign of approval from a 3 year old.

He took me about 3 hours to decorate most of that time was spent airbrushing. It took about 10 thin layers to get it that red. I let each layer dry before putting on another that way I wouldn't have any drips or droplets. I probably should have taken it a bit slower with the webbing which could have been better.

I used a crusting buttercream. The recipe is here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-23-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html

It's really easy to work with.

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 5:50am
post #10 of 40

Thanks for the step by step. Your cake looks wonderful. My question is how did you do the webs? Did you use black buttercream or the ready to use gel? Since I don't have an airbrush, I am going to try the spray on icing, hopefully it will come out as nice as yours.

Cecilia

Lisa Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 40

I used black butter cream to do the webs. I wouldn't use the spray color in a can. It would take so many of them! You could just ice him in red butter cream.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:50am
post #12 of 40

Wow LISA!!!!! I'm glad to see your cake!!! IT'S WONDERFUL!!!! I mean wonderful!!!!! You are soooo good at this!!!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back from Turtleshell!!!!

Lisa Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 4:05am
post #13 of 40

Thanks Turtleshell!

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 5:58am
post #14 of 40

Lisa, your cake looks awsome! Thanks so much for sharing the instructions with all of us here at the forum. Very sweet of you!!!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 6:25am
post #15 of 40

You used airbrushing..... I would love to get an airbrush and use it.... I have the spray color mist down, and happy with it, but airbrush....wow.... where do you get one and what all do you have to get to have it......

Lisa Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 40

My DH got me the airbrush for Christmas...I love it! He ordered it from www.kopykake.com

http://store.kopykake.com/cgi-bin/store/A2000.html

You'd also need a set of the kroma kolors and the airbrush cleaner.

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 12:46am
post #17 of 40

Lisa, I have one more question. What, if anything, did you cover the wig head before the icing? I heard you can saran wrap or contact paper but I would think the frosting would slide off

Thanks again for the help
Cecilia

Lisa Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 1:04am
post #18 of 40

I didn't cover it. I did wash it. It occured to me that the butter cream might just slide right off the wig head. It never did thank goodness!

kathmc67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathmc67 Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 2:34am
post #19 of 40

It look WONDERFULL!!!!! I never would've thougth about the wig head, what a GREAT idea!! Look great.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:25am
post #20 of 40

Great job on the cake! I'm glad I could be of some help... I feel like I am always just getting advice from this board and never giving anything back! lol.

I used that same buttercream recipe, and mine was not nearly as smooth as yoursicon_sad.gif It didn't crust well at all. Maybe it's just the humidity here or something icon_sad.gif

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

Lisa Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:30am
post #21 of 40

Hi Melissa! Thanks again for your help. I couldn't have done it without you! As for the butter cream, it needs about 10-15 minutes to crust. You can try adding less water (or milk). That might help counteract the humidity. I also smoothed it with Viva paper towels once it crusted. Did you try that?

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 1:46am
post #22 of 40

Wow great job. I am new to this site. How much icing did that take????? I saw that cake on wiltons web site and plan on making it for my sons birthday in a few weeks. Do you think it will work with the whipped icing??? My family doesnt like buttercream.

Lisa Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 2:07am
post #23 of 40

Sorry...I don't know exactly how much icing I used. I know I made two batches of the butter cream recipe mentioned above and I had very little left over. I think it would work with whipped icing as long as it would "stick" to the wig head.

susanmm23 Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 3:02am
post #24 of 40

I had planned on using the Wiltons whipped mix that you add water too. I have never used it , so I am looking for some help on how much I might need. Have you ever used it???

Lisa Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 3:10am
post #25 of 40

No I haven't sorry. I did do the math though and I figure I used about 11 cups of butter cream. Each box of whipped mix makes 4 cups so you'd need 3 packages.

susanmm23 Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 3:39am
post #26 of 40

Thank you sooooo much. I have been stressed out about this icing for over a week. Its hard to please everyone in a big family. Do you know how many people that cake fed. I am worried I wont have enough cake so I have planned to make spidey cupcakes to go along with it. By the way your Spidey is one of the best I have seen. My son saw it and feel in love with it. He has to have that cake. So I will do my best to give it to him. Thanks againf or your help and info.

Lisa Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 3:58am
post #27 of 40

40-50 servings depending on the size of each slice. Thanks for the compliment! I also have a trick to doing his eyes that might help you. Cut them out of paper first so you can get the right shape and size.
Then press them into the icing where they should go. Remove them and it will leave an imprint for you to follow. I used crusting butter cream so it worked well. You may want to experiment a little with the whipped icing. You wouldn't want it pulling off with the paper.

susanmm23 Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:23am
post #28 of 40

GREAT TIP!!!!!! I was trying to figure out how to get the eyes right. Yeah I plan on practicing this weekend with the icing on a regualr 8" round. To see how workable it is. If that doesnt work i dont kow what I'll do. OUt of 30 people only one likes buttercream.

mari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mari Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 9:43pm
post #29 of 40

Lisa: why aren't the pix showing up?? I needed to use them for this weekend and they are gone. I saved it to my computer, but it crashed and now it's in the repair shop!!1 HELLP!!! Mod's why aren't the pix there????

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 10:29pm
post #30 of 40

Hi Lisa! Your pictures are beautiful. I love them all. You do such a beautiful job on your cakes. I love the airbrush method; maybe one day, I will have the opportunity to learn how to use one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%