Buttercream Icing

Baking By cindy6250 Updated 22 Oct 2005 , 5:38am by cindy6250

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 4:53am
post #1 of 9

I just got two new books...The Cake Bible and Teh Well Decorated Cake.
Stupid me has been icing cakes with the buttercream icing I made in cake class....What I want to know is, what is a good all purpose white Buttercream? I can see now that I am making a mistake by not using real butter in my icing...Also, is there a preference for cooked or non-cooked?

8 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 4:59am
post #2 of 9

I've tried out a few others but I still like my class buttercream, except I use half butter in the recipe. I also use anything except water for the liquid.

cindy6250 Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:04am
post #3 of 9

Ok, I will try that. I made a cake the other day and for some reason it didn't taste so good. It was really crusty. Thanks for you help. Have you ever worked with the cooked icing? It seems kind of intimidating.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:10am
post #4 of 9

I haven't tried any of the cooked stuff, though I would have done the IMBC last week if I had the time and ingredients.

Most of the time I just decide it's more trouble than it's worth, but I REALLY want to try the Italian Meringue. I just don't take the time when regular BC is so easy. Also it's been hothothot here until recently so turning on the stove was not an attractive idea.

Try out the cooked stuff - everybody raves about the taste. And it can't be THAT hard to make. At worst you just throw it out and go back to regular old BC, right?

cindy6250 Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:17am
post #5 of 9

Right, I will try IMBC soon. I have just sold a couple of cakes so far. Really just getting started. I've made quite a few and given them away, just to show my work, but I really want to start getting some orders so I can get more practiced. It's more nerve racking when they are for paid customers, but also more gratifying when they see and taste you creation and rave about it....

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:17am
post #6 of 9

I'm with you Ali,
with the temperature still not fall-like here in Texas, I just can't drag myself away from BC! I'm dying to try the IMBC but I'm waiting for a chance where I will have a cake that will not step outside!

And Cindy---"your" BC will have to be what works best for you. I've learned everyone is so different and what one person likes, another may not. Some people can't understand how anyone would make an all crisco BC, but here in TX its almost mandatory. So don't necessarily go with what a book says is "right", go with what you like, what tastes good, and what you like to work with. There are some BC recipes out there that taste great but are a PAIN to make!
Good luck!

cindy6250 Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:21am
post #7 of 9

Thanks MamaFrogCakes,

I agree with you about ease of preparation. I work and go to school twice a week, so time is of the essence when I am on a deadline. I think one thing with my buttercream is that I have always used water. I am going to try it with heavy cream instead next time. I'm sure it will make a big difference.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:31am
post #8 of 9

Your welcome icon_smile.gif I work full time and I try to make my BC ahead of time. There's nothing like getting 5-6 batches made quickly!
Also, I've noticed that I do prefer milk or cream over water. I had always heard that it didn't matter but I'm beginning to think that it does. Good luck!

cindy6250 Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:38am
post #9 of 9

Thanks again, I am going to try that and I think I am going to try a recipe that is part real butter too, just to compare the tastes. It is going to cool off thisnext week, so it should be ok....

You're from my hometown, haven't been back in a couple of years, but my Heart Belongs in Texas!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%