What Are The Measurements Of These Cakes?

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 21 Apr 2005 , 11:38am by m0use

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 2:20am
post #1 of 18

Hey Folks,

I'm confused icon_redface.gif about something. I have never made a full sheet cake. Well I am making a 1/2 sheet cake for a bday tomorrow. I'm confused about the measurements. Wilton's books only give measurements. I went onto another cake website (instead of asking ya'll first) last night & it gave measurements & there different from the ones I thought to be true. I use Duncan Hines cake mixes & add to it. They have the measurements on the inside but they don't give what they pans are either. So to make a longer story short....

What are the measurements for the following:
1/4 sheet cake
1/2 sheet cake
3/4 sheet cake (I don't think there is one)
Full sheet cake

Here is what I think they are:
9 X 13 for 1/4
11X15 for 1/2
12x18 for 3/4?? or is that a sheet cake?
That is where I start getting mixed up or is the whole thing wrong?

Thanks for the your help!

17 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 2:39am
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

What are the measurements for the following:
1/4 sheet cake
1/2 sheet cake
3/4 sheet cake (I don't think there is one)
Full sheet cake

Here is what I think they are:
9 X 13 for 1/4
11X15 for 1/2
12x18 for 3/4?? or is that a sheet cake?

9X13 is 1/4 sheet
12x16 sm 1/2 sheet
12x18 1/2 sheet
10x15 1/3

To make a full sheet you can either do 2 12x16s for a small full sheet or 2 12x18s for a full sheet..

Hope this helps..

tcturtleshell Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 5:19am
post #3 of 18

Thanks LadyCake!! I was right...... pretty close, LOL!! I was looking on a website at cake pics. That person had a pricing list. Her sizes were totally different from the sizes I have always known! Then that really mixed me up! (It doesn't take much to mix me up, icon_lol.gif )
Now for another question.....
I'm doing a groom's cake. The groom's mom (good friend of family) wants a full sheet cake. She wants it to feed 100 people. Doesn't a 12"X18" feed 100 or so? Also... do you think I would need two 12"x 18"stacked to get the pretty effect of basket weave? Wouldn't one be enough? She loves basket weave! I love doing it! I'm going to put a smaller cake on top & we're putting strawberries all around it. Your opinion would be great! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 6:33am
post #4 of 18

Tina,
Gee, I was thinking my 1/2 sheets I make for baby showers serves 35-37. I have put two of those together to make a full sheet which was about 75 servings. Getting 100 might be stretching it, don't you think? As for the pans, I checked all the pans where I get a lot of my supplies and they had two Wilton pans marked as 1/2 sheets. I got the one with the straightest sides. I like to use my big oval instead of the rectangular pan sometimes too and it's supposed to make the same number of servings. Uses the same amount of batter. Have fun!
Carol

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

Now for another question.....
I'm doing a groom's cake. The groom's mom (good friend of family) wants a full sheet cake. She wants it to feed 100 people. Doesn't a 12"X18" feed 100 or so? Also... do you think I would need two 12"x 18"stacked to get the pretty effect of basket weave? Wouldn't one be enough?

Yes if you do 2 side by side 12x18s your going to be able to do 100 - Now your not going to cut hunking pieces your going to have to do the 2x2 rule in one 12x18 you are able to get 54 pieces doing the 2x2 rule so you should be able to get a bit over 100 - What I have is a matt that you lay on the top of a sheet cake and it makes the cut areas for you and then all you have to do is one of two things either make shells down each box or just leave it ...

I have NEVER done double stacks for my sheet cakes... I know some people do ... But I dont think there is a need to do that .... So in what I have told you that is putting one layer side by side on a board ... Make sure that you put two boards together these cakes are a bit heavy for just one cake board..

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Mar 2005 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 18

I have a sheet size triple thick board for my full sheet cakes. You'll want one sturdy surface under this big cake.

tcturtleshell Posted 14 Mar 2005 , 2:03am
post #7 of 18

Hey, sorry I haven't posted back. I had another cake due yesterday it went w/ us to a crawfish boil last night at a friends, then today I have been feeling bad icon_sad.gif Probably too much crawfish! LOL. I'll post the pics sometimes tomorrow. It was a fishing cake. Turned out very nice~ First cake w/NO mistakes!!!!! I'm going to frame that pic!!!

I have decided to do square cakes for the groom's cake. I think that would look so much better then sheet cakes. They are too long. I'm going w/ 2-8" & 2-14" stacked. Then a "W" in royal icing on top & also I'm thinking I might do a royal icing handle on top. Wouldn't that look pretty!

Yes, I have some very strong, thick wood boards. I got from Home Depot. They were closing them out so I bought 5 different sizes! I got lucky on that deal! I can bearly lift those boards up! They'll hold any weight!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 11:13am
post #8 of 18

i have to do a full sheet cake in may. does anyone know what size boards and boxes to purchase and where online can i order them from?? icon_eek.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 11:48am
post #9 of 18

Diane www.papermart.com may have the boards and boxes...

as for the serving sizes for cakes, there are cutting guidelines for cakes in the 2005 Wilton yearbook, page 109... I think from that we could answer alot of cutting questions..... I know I didnt understand how a 8 inch round Wedding cake fed 24 people..... and an 8" square wedding cake fed 32..... but it is different for a party cake...a party cake 8" round feeds 20, and an 8" square party cake fed 20..... it blew my mind, it was interesting to look at....

if you dont have one of those yearbooks let me know, by PMing me and I will send you the page via email...

diane Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 18

thanks flavurfun.!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

diane Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 18

i just went to that site and they only have the pink boxes. if i remember, i thought someone made a comment about those boxes...the cakes dry out quicker. i don't know if this is true, but i wonder if there is any other sites that might have the white boxes??

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 18

I need to know about the pink box thing too! I was about to order some of these. If they dry the cakes out, I won't order any of them!! Anyone know about this?

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:44pm
post #13 of 18

Hey dianne, I just went there too, and they have white boxes. They are under the pink boxes when you click on food boxes, then cake and bakery boxes.
I have a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood I use for my full sheet cakes, I used to use two masonite boards, but it would always get a crack in the middle because the board would flex. If you go to a lumber store they will cut a big sheet down to custom sizes for you. I got about 20 masonite boards cut a lowes for smaller cakes and they did it for free.

diane Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 18

well duh, kick me in the pants! icon_confused.gif i'm getting lazy. i've been surfing the web for these boxes and i guess i'm too tired to surf anymore. thanks a bunch. i don't have the boards though. would it be better to purchase some or have a couple made and charge for a deposit so i can get them back from a customer??

diane Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 1:58pm
post #15 of 18

oh, btw, what is the actual size of a full sheetcake box? i'm not sure what size to purchase...and what size should i have the boards cut to???

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 18

My full sheet cakes are 24x18 plus the board, so i would get the 28x20 box. I haven't ordered any boxes yet, so i end up making mine out of poster board.

diane Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 8:37am
post #17 of 18

flavurdfun are you sure papermart ships to apo addresses? it did not have anywhere to put an apo address. icon_confused.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 11:38am
post #18 of 18

It looks like they only ship ups, but you should call their customer service line and see what else they do. Alot of places will ship to the base if you have a physical address to the base. But you have to check and see if there are shipping restrictions into the country. For example, Zach's (and mine) best friend is serving over in Iraq right now right in the Baghdad area and needed a computer part asap. So we looked into shipping DHL because they are the only shipping company that will ship to Iraq. There were a lot of restricted stuff that you could not ship into Iraq, like playing cards icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%