All That I Learned This Weekend Decorating Cakes!

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 9:49pm by imartsy

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 20

I bought that Mini-Stand up Bear pan from Wilton last week, and decided to make a Chicago Bear cake for the super bowl today. Pretty adventourous for someone who has only done 3 cakes so far.

Well, it isn't THAT bad, but obviously could be better. Here's what i learned....

1) - Make sure you have all the approiate equipment BEFORE you start decorating. The bear called for 2 tips i didn't have, and it definately makes a difference.

2) - read all the instrucions and FOLLOW them. When the instructions call for 1 cup of cake batter, use only 1 cup of cake batter. Don't fill the bear mold all the way up to the top. because, then, it looks like your bear took a large and healthy dump. icon_lol.gif The same with the Mini-Wonder Mold pan. It's says 2/3 cup of batter for a reason. Princesses have petite ball gowns, not the Rocky Mountains under their skirts.

3) - make sure you have enought frosting colored at 1 time. I ended up running out of blue, and had to make more.....um.....2x. icon_redface.gif So my bear is 3 different shades of blue.

4) - Speaking of icing, make sure you have the right colors. Chicago colors are Navy Blue and Orange. I had Sky Blue. Blue is blue right?? WRONG! My Navy Chicago Bear looks like a bright Neon Blue light exploded on him. thumbsdown.gif

5) - Don't plan an intricate design on something SMALL! It was one thing to try and put a blue jersey on the tiny little bear, it's another thing to try and put a logo on that tiny little shirt on the tiny little bear. (This lesson can also be carried over to the 6" round birthday cake that i also made this weekend, complete with writing and a rose spray with ribbons. Sounds like a lot of stuff ontop of a 6" cake, right? It was. icon_rolleyes.gif )

6) - Take Tylenol before spending 3 1/2 hrs piping stars onto 3 different cakes. Arthritis is brutal to a cake decorator. thumbsdown.gif

7) - PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

See my bright blue bear?? See the "C" that was supposed to be in the shirt that ended up being just ON the shirt? icon_confused.gif Tips that were needed??? For his eyes. Doesn't it look like this poor little guy is strung out on some kind of super freaky drug??

And the doll, again bright blue. She actually isn't too bad, except she is also in 2 differnet shades of blue.

And the amazing tiny birthday cake, with lots of stuff on it.

Oh well, i tried, right?

Jennifer
LL
LL
LL
LL

19 replies
tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 20

No Offense.....your wording...
lol...

LoriGross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriGross Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 20

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've learned some of those lessons the hard way, too! The good part is, you won't make those mistakes again. icon_smile.gif

Your cakes look good - your roses are nice and full and the bow is great (I never could master that); the bear is cute, and the doll is really pretty!

Keep up the good work.

Nancyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancyf Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 20

Good job. Especially for just finishing the first class. We all learn from our mistakes, and it makes us better decoraters. I love the doll the best.

keep it up thumbs_up.gif

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 20

Oh, honey you are too funny!

I've had most of those same problems!! LOLOL!!!

Glad you learn some new "tricks" this weekend. Sounds like you had a lot of fun in the midst of your frustration!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 20

LMAO!!!!
Been there, done that...learnt the same lessons!
You cakes look fine, I like the doll best as well, and your roses really do look good. Keep up the great work girlie!!

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 20

Your story was just too cute....I could see it as a commercial for cake decorating...lol so funny!!!!
You did a great job on your cakes...if they look like that after wilton I....imagine after wilton II

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 20

Oh dear...I'm so sorry for all your frustrations...but, you wrote such a cute story to go along with your cakes, I was lol! You did do a great job, I'm proud that you saw it through till the end.
Thank you for the insight, for us newbies. I'll definitely make sure I have all the right "tools" before starting.
But, I can guarantee that we will all find ourselves in the same situation at one time or another.
I myself hope that I can spin a good tale on the whole situation and make others laugh as you have.

stormy2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormy2500 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 20

I too, have been there and done that. You made me laugh. I have only taken Wilton class 1 over a year ago...and have forgotten most of what they taught since I haven't been decorating any cakes.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 20

When I teach I am notorious for tell my students "and when you are doing this, don't do that... don't ask me how I know that..." and they get the benefit of learning from my (many, many) mistakes and they can receive it because it's given with a laugh. icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:11am
post #11 of 20

I laughed so hard when I read about the bear taking a big healthy dump! That happened to me when I did the 3d pooh bear---I yelled at my DH "Pooh made a big pooh"

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:40am
post #12 of 20

i think we learn something from every experience.. I also learned NOT to make more than one cake on a day LOL.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:58am
post #13 of 20

From a fellow Wilton 1 graduate, starting Course 2 this week...I probably spent 2 hours just trying to get the color right on my Super Bowl cake this weekend, mostly because I hadn't purchased the right colors ahead of time. My wonderful hubby helped me figure out the right combination of colors needed and took his turn stirring & experimenting with the buttercream while I kneaded fondant color in- my arms are TIRED today!

I love your story- I totally relate! icon_rolleyes.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:04am
post #14 of 20

You are soooo funny icon_lol.gif . I'm sure we all had to learn things the hard way.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:17am
post #15 of 20

You are cracking me up!!!

I think you did a lovely job, very cute cakes.

Although the little one with the roses made me laugh a bit, they do look gigantic on the cake - LOL! Super roses though! Great job and you will get better with matching your colors. I hate when I can't get the color I really need with what I have on hand. We've all been there.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:47pm
post #16 of 20

Consider yourself lucky to have learned all that in one weekend! I hope people who haven't had those experiences read it and learn from you. That's what we all come to this site for. Your story was entertaining! I like the Tylenol part!

Sweet-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Treats Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 1:00pm
post #17 of 20

They've all said it but your wording was so funny icon_biggrin.gif I've often thought about arthritis and carpel tunnel especially after piping stars on a full cake icon_smile.gif

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 1:46pm
post #18 of 20

So glad I could make everyone laugh! thumbs_up.gif

Smaller roses?? Ummm, yeah, I can only make 1 size for now. I'll add that to my ever growing list of things to work on.

Oh well, 40% off for Hobby Lobby AND Michaels this week. Time to go buy lots more tips and pans! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for making me feel better!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:30pm
post #19 of 20

I LOVE the little rose cake! A good size for two people, and I think the big cabbage roses look gorgeous on there - I most definately would like THAT one for my birthday...

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 9:49pm
post #20 of 20

very funny story (well for those of us who didn't live it!) Thanks for sharing! all in all the cakes didn't turn out that bad - and I bet they tasted good right? That''s the most important thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%