Tylose Powder

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 1:49am by karennayak

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 13

OK, I see a lot of mentioning of Tylose powder with fondant and it is all new to me. I had asked a fellow CCer how she did butterflies for her cake and she said she used Tylose powder on her fondant accesories... so my questions:

What is Tylose?
Where do I buy it?
How do I use it?

Any help would be great, I have a similar cake due on the 17th... so I need to know how to use it so I can practice. TIA!

12 replies
JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 13

You can use Gum-tex in the same way as Tylose. This makes the fondant behave well for modeling items..

For modeling, I use about 1 tsp of Gumtex per 12-16 oz of fondant. If it is humid where you are, add a tich more...if dry, add a little less...

HTH

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 13

thanks so much.. I know I can get Gum-tex at michael's right?

JaneK Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 13

yup...you can get it at Michaels...

You can also get ready made gumpaste at Michaels depending on what you were going to make...

I would use the gumpaste for flowers and/or delicate things I to be rolled out thinly like leaves, flower, wings.etc...

The fondant/gum-tex mix is great for modeling animals, people, bigger, more substantial items...

Have fun!!!!!
Jane

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 13

Tylose makes an even harder finished prodct than gum-tex - and it's whiter. My local cake supply carries it. Plus, you can get it online from many cake suppliers. It's worth adding to your arsenal.

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 13

I read somewheres on in the forum that you could use the powedered fix-a-dent dental adhesive instead of tylose. It has tylose in it.

JaneK Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 13

I can't get Tylose here in Ottawa and have hunted around for it in Canadian sites...that is why I use Gumtex but it does work fine and does dry hard...

I too want to add tylose to my supplies but until I find it I use Gumtex for all my modeling and honestly it does work fine..all my models are done with it so far.

If it is a far better product I should look for it too...

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 13

I have a strange request: Could someone please miss-spell whatever it is that you're using instead of Tylose, as I'm in the dark here (I have a problem with my browser, where I can't read any words which show as a link to the CC shop, but if it's spelt wrong I can see it!! There are a few others who also have this problem, Heath is aware of it, but they can't yet figure out what the cause is! icon_cry.gif ) and as I'm just about to start working with fondant, this would be a big help to me.

TIA

Kelly

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly75

IKelly

have a strange request: Could someone please miss-spell whatever it is that you're using instead of Tylose, as I'm in the dark here (I have a problem with my browser, where I can't read any words which show as a link to the CC shop, but if it's spelt wrong I can see it!!

Do you mean Gumtex (gomtes), it's a Wilton product. Or the denture cleanser Fixodent( fissodent).
Hope this help some.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 13

gum.....tex? Did that help

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 13

I have asked a similar question and this is what I got..Helped alot to find it under the real name

Good luck

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-51621-.html

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 13

Gum tex! Thanks! Thats a big help! icon_biggrin.gif

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 1:49am
post #13 of 13

The chemical name for Tylose is Sodium salt of Carboxy Methyl Cellulose or CMC. I use it regularly for my flowers.

Sometimes, is sold as a bakery product or as a stabiliser but under it's chemical name, not Tylose.

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%