Flowers Included In Price Of Wedding Cake???

Business By sugartopped Updated 23 Oct 2005 , 2:35pm by sweetsuccess

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 1:17am
post #1 of 8

I have another wedding cake order...YEAH!!! thumbs_up.gif I quoted her a price of $2.50 serving w/BC icing and $3.50 serving w/fondant. When I quoted the price all I said about flowers were "All cakes can be iced in BC or fondant w/silk, real, or fondant/gumpaste flowers" Does that seem like the price of flowers are included?? I think it sounds like I included them!! icon_confused.gif Are flowers normally included in the price??

She wants an orchid cascade and I'm going to try and make them...but she said she may want silk!!!! And if I don't like my gumpaste flowers I'm going to have to buy them.

Not sure what I should do. She hasn't asked about it yet...but we are going to start looking at the type of orchids she wants and the price will come up soon. So if I've goofed up and included the flowers in my price...I'm going to be a little more firm about what she can/can't have....but I also want to keep her happy. If she still has to pay for them...then she can have whatever she wants.

TIA,
Christine

7 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:01am
post #2 of 8

I think it sounds kind of like they are included, but the way your wording is, it should be easy enough to get around it. As far as I'm concerned, if she wants orchids, no way can you or should you do that for $2.50/person!

sugartopped Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 8

I'm meeting w/her again soon...her wedding is less than month away. So guess I'll have to see. I'm sure we can work something out to make us both happy and not go broke!! icon_smile.gif I'm hoping I can make a decent orchid...this should save some $$$!!!

But are flowers usually included in the price of wedding cakes?? Or should I say something like....wedding cake prices start at $2.50 serving, flowers and other extensive design work are an additional charge??

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 8

I think you should play dumb....but be ready....

get the exact prices for fondant, for real, and for silk flowers and when you see her again just say:

"I figured out the prices for the flowers and this is what each type would cost and I need you to decide."

I think she'll get the hint. You should get paid for your work so just be clear and apologize if she thought they were included but explain to her how much work is invloved...gently, of course.

rlctic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlctic Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 8

You should have a base price which is just the cake with buttercream icing. Then you should have additional costs for other items such as fondant, flowers , bows, pearls, etc. Hope this helps,
Tiffany

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 8

Have you done gumpaste orchids before?! Gumpaste flowers are extrememly time consuming. You may want to price them out ahead of time, it may be easier to purchase - and save you the headache. I had something similar happen. You should have a standard contract - noted that your base price does not include toppers, flowers (gumpaste, fresh or otherwise), bows, etc.

sugartopped Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is my second wedding cake...the first was a donation, so I wasn't sure what to do. I'm going to def. work up a contract soon. I'll look around and see what other people do.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 23 Oct 2005 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 8

In NYC, generally cakes start at $5.00 a slice,and increase depending upon the complexity of the design. Your customer may interpret your pricing statement as gumpaste flowers included for $3.50 a slice, but I agree that your wording is such that you could get around this. Gumpaste flowers, in particular roses and orchids should bump the price far above $3.50 a slice. Orchids, particularly gumpaste moth orchids are extremely fragile and take days to dry, shade, and wire. You must factor breakage, as well as your time and skill into the price. Don't sell yourself short. birthday.gifbirthday.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%