Can Swiss Buttercream Be Redone?

Business By cakenutz Updated 3 Feb 2007 , 5:42pm by sweetamber

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:54am
post #1 of 5

I've never had this happen before so before I waste my time I'm asking for help. I didn't let my sugar dissolve all the way (was in a hurry) I didn't pay attention went on whipped it cool added butter tasted it and of it you could taste the granules. Can I reheat chill and rebeat? If not could I reheat chill and add to another batch to save my 6 sticks of butter? If anyone knows the answer TIA icon_sad.gif

4 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 2:20am
post #2 of 5

No, I don't thnk so. There would be no way to recook it with the butter added to it. And the egg whites would have deflated. Afraid you will have to let it go and start over. If you added it to a new batch of icing you would still have the undissolved sugar granules and then you would ruin the new batch as well.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 3:44am
post #3 of 5

Thanks Shirley. I thought not but was hoping. LOL Live and learn icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 7:00am
post #4 of 5

I know, we all do that when we have a disaster. "Is there any way to salvage this?" sometimes there is a good tip for saving something, like when chocolate seizes and you add Crisco or Paramount crystals to bring it back. But in this case I don't know of any way to get those sugar crystals out of your icing.

I had a semi disaster this evening too. I am making 100 miniature heart shaped tarts and two cakes for an event on Sunday. I have the fillings made for the tarts, white chocolate mousse and mocha mousse, the sweet tart pastry is made, 2 recipes of chocolate glaze is done and my gumpaste flowers are completed. Time to go shopping, I wrote down all of the ingredients and amounts I needed before I went to the store. Somehow I miscalculated on the amount of butter I needed for all the different things I was making and I came up one stick, or 4 oz. short on the Italian meringue buttercream, though I have never done this I decided to substitute that 1/4 cup with Crisco. It will work but the texture of the icing is very different than my silky smooth IMBC and I can taste the difference as well. The cake will be covered with white chocolate cigarellos so that may disguise it. I will be at the event and will be cutting the cakes so I will try a little piece myself and hope for the best.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 5

Wow, Shirley- you've never used a little shortening in your imbc before? I guess you don't really need to seeing where in the country you are...lucky you! I am really surprised that it made that much of a difference in texture, but I guess if you're used to all butter it would seem very different. I'm sure it will be just fine for your event- you're probably the only one that would ever know the difference, kwim? They'll love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%