Always Have An Plan. . .

Decorating By montanakate Updated 17 Oct 2005 , 11:10am by KayDay

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 6:25am
post #1 of 7

So I made a cake for my mom tonight and I made one of the classic cake blunders. Wait until 8:00 p.m. to start and think that you will think of something creative to do as you go along. Why do I do this?????? So now I have a lime green cake with an unrecognizable border, terrible smoothing job and icky writing on it. I finally decided just to stop before I made it any worse than it is.
I should know better than to do this. I usually plan and get ideas from this site. I thought this time I would just be "creative". WRONG!! I just feel really bad that I couldn't even make a cool looking cake for my mom, when I make nicer looking cakes for friends and strangers! ARRRGGHHH! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Better luck next time I guess.

Thanks for letting me vent, just call me Pity party Kate

6 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 7

Poor pity party Kate!!! I have done the same thing and decided that I'm not "creative" enough sometimes! I always plan out my cakes and realize they sure save headache and disaster later!!
Well, now you know icon_sad.gif But I'm sure it TASTES good right????
Quit kicking yourself now icon_razz.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 7

But it's for your mom, she will love it anyway.

Because as a mom, I would appreciate the time and effort...

just tell her that you where channeling your 5 year old youth when you dreamt up the cake..lol

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7

This happens to me too when I don't plan ahead (and sometimes when I do plan, LOL)

Don't feel bad. Your mom will still love it and it will taste great. The evidence will be eaten in the end. icon_biggrin.gif

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 3:05am
post #5 of 7

She really did appreciate it! It even held together for the 3 hour drive to her house. We were celebrating a few days late, and she was excited because she hadn't had any cake yet. Thanks for listening.
Kate

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 9:55am
post #6 of 7

Been there, Done that. I did it once for a gather thinking o well,it'll taste good, there isn't going to be very many people there anyway. Turned out to be a sizable gather and when I got there I felt someone had turned the heat on HIGH. I eyeballed the cake area the whole time and anytime someone looked at it, I felt my stomach turn.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 11:10am
post #7 of 7

Ya know kate...when we do those wonderful cakes for others...they usually tell us exactly what they want so we dont have to struggle with every detail. I am glad your mom enjoyed it regardless. I know it seems to me there are times that my stuff looks outright goofy and I think ...wow this isnt what I meant for it to look like at all! Then I pull out a photo from somewhere, and see a cake I made when I didnt know they had to BE level...a sheet cake with one end 3 ins. high and the other one is 1 and 1/2 where I didnt even have the batter somewhere near even and my runny store bought icing..and whatever deco I could manage to get on there ...but one of my kids is sitting there grinning and blowing out the candles and loving it anyway! LOL...always makes me feel better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%