Mini Cowboy Hat Help Please

Decorating By ccwkg Updated 2 Mar 2014 , 7:44pm by rachelnseth

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #1 of 12

I hate to bug people, It seems like all I ever do is ask for help but I am in need again. I have to make 2 small cowboy hats for a cake tomorrow and I am not finding the step by step instructions my poor little brain needs. If anyone out there has this information handy and would like to share you will be my hero forever!!

Thanks!
Crystal

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:48am
post #2 of 12

are they supposed to be cake themselves?

or are they just supposed to be applied decorations (which you can make out of gumpaste at this late date)?

ccwkg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:03am
post #3 of 12

I have never worked with gumpaste before so that one might be out. I had kind of hoped for edible but they are pretty much a decoration so it could go either way.

Doug Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:22am
post #4 of 12

cheat: toy hats from store

otherwise: have to mold or carve from cake.

mold: fondant probably won't dry hard if due tomorrow (would have to dry it using lots of circulating air)...so gumpaste would be better (a very fast drying, tho' brittle at times product that works similar to fondant)

or bake cupcakes and carve, then ice.

google cowboy hats for lots of images and the basic styles. most base on oval shape w/ dent down middle of top and a brim. brim would almost have to be fondant or gumpaste if want edible or paper.

pic from galleries for inspiration: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-91028.html

ccwkg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:32am
post #5 of 12

Thank you for all your help Doug! I think I am going to try carving them out of the mini ball pan. They seem to be the right size, hopefully I will be able to make them look more oval. Thanks again neighbor. BTW where is Lumberton?

Doug Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:34am
post #6 of 12

exits 22--17 on I-95....
30 miles south of Fayetteville

and

Pedro says: just 17 miles north of South of the Border

ccwkg Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:38am
post #7 of 12

I've seen that sign!!!! How cool.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 2:14am
post #8 of 12

I made the hats on these cakes out of fondant+tylose. If you'd like more info, please let me know.
LL
LL

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:37am
post #9 of 12

Diane - those cakes are awesome!!! I will be making a baby shower cake for my sister-in-law in a few months and it will need to be cowboy/girl themed, so I might have to pick your brain about how to make the cowboy hats!!! They are excellent!!!

cakeygirl723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeygirl723 Posted 16 May 2011 , 3:40am
post #10 of 12

Those cowboy hats are awesome> Is there a tutorial somewhere for them? I may need to do a cowboy hat cake soon. Thanks.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:03am
post #11 of 12

This is an older post so I do not know if there is a tutorial or not. I would love to have instructions for these. They would still be pretty good size.

rachelnseth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelnseth Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 12

Do you have any tips or tricks on making the mini fondant cowboy hats? I would love to hear your expert advise! This will be my first time attempting a gumpaste/fondant cowboy hat for an upcoming western themed birthday cake. Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%