Caramel Filling?

Baking By heatherandprecious Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 3:39pm by camcat

heatherandprecious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherandprecious Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 19

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a caramel filling for a chocolate cake? Thank you!

18 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 19

sorry, cant help you with the filling .. just saw your picture .. is that your cat??
icon_eek.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 19

icon_lol.gif I was thinking the same thing... I don't have a recipe but if that's a real cat, it's HUGE!!! LOL

bbelias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbelias Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 19

I don't have any recipes for a caramel filling to help, but I did a search for caramel icing and found this . . .

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2345-38-Quick-Caramel-Frosting.html

I sometimes use icings as fillings like german chocolate or chocolate bc instead of bavarian cream and they taste great. However, I hope that someone can come up with a caramel filling recipe to share with us because that sounds awesome!

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 19

This weekend I searched the cc forums for caramel fillings...

Most peeps raved about boiling the can of sweetened condensed milk to make caramel...I'm not willing to try that yet...I know it can explode! Others said to buy Delce de luche (spelling?) or something at the grocery store.

Here's what I used: melt a bag of Kraft caramels w/a little bit of milk in the microwave for 3 minutes, stir until smooth. Let it cool a bit, then add enough buttercream icing to make it not so sticky. It's delicous and creamy and won't absorb into the cake!

Good luck!

bbelias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbelias Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 19

The dulce de leche is a good idea . . . here is a recipe

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1994-2-Homemade-Dulce-de-leche.html

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 19

I used to boil the cans of condensed milk now I am able to find the dulce de leche already made in the grocery store - usually with the condensed milk or the Latin products.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 19

Previous posts for making caramel/caramel filling:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-88091-.html

HTH

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 19

Try CAJETA, you can find it in a latin supermarket or in the hispanic section of your grocery store,
is deliciuos and you dont have to boil or make anything, I just add chopped peacans and i always get a lot of compliments.

hope it helps

happy baking!

icon_smile.gif

Adriana

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 19

Also, Nestle sells one called La lechera - very good and no cooking. Make sure you get the can that has a picture of pudding on it, the one with the picture of flan is condensed milk.

heatherandprecious Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:11am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

sorry, cant help you with the filling .. just saw your picture .. is that your cat??
icon_eek.gif

hehehe! icon_biggrin.gif Yep, that's my fat boy!

heatherandprecious Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:15am
post #12 of 19

Sorry, I've been sick and haven't been watching my posts. I want to thank everyone for all the good recipes. Can't wait to try out some!!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:24am
post #13 of 19

I just made a german chocolate turtle cake this past weekend. All I did was melt a bag of kraft caramels with 1/4 cup evaporated milk and 3/4 cup melted butter. It was a little sticky but it did not really seep into the cake bad. I then layered with choc chips and pecans. My husband said it was the best cake yet.

heatherandprecious Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:31am
post #14 of 19

Sounds delicious!

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:33am
post #15 of 19

When I want a quick caramel filling, sometimes I put a good layer of icing and then squeeze some thick caramel ice cream topping out of. It sits on top of the icing and creates a nice caramel layer and tastes delish.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #16 of 19

Here is my filling recipe. I invented it out of necessity - these were the only ingredients I had on hand. I posted it in another thread here in the forums but couldn't find the original.

8 - 12 oz caramel ice cream topping (vary the amount according to taste)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar (more or less according to taste)

Mix together and refrigerate at least 1 hour before filling cake. Mixture will be thin prior to filling, but will thicken after refrigeration. Make sure you use a good sturdy damn of icing before filling as mixture will thin if cake is left out.

tetraz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tetraz Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 12:20pm
post #17 of 19

Here's my recipe. I use this all the time. I prepare 1 cup of white sugar. Melt 1/3 cup of the sugar over low heat. Once sugar is melted, observe the color if it is gold or amber ( not burnt). Add in 1/4 cup of flour and stir quickly until well mixed. Gradually, add 1 1/2 cups of evaporated milk, then the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and cook until thick. Add 1/4 cup butter and vanilla extract. This recipe may take quite a time to cook but a far cry from the very sweet dulce de leche.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:43am
post #18 of 19

I used to use caramels and cream, but now most of the time I just use the marzetti's apple dip from the produce section, unless it's a wedding cake etc...then I make a penuche caramel.

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 19

Hunt's snack size pudding now comes in caramel flavor. Wonder if that would work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%