Flower Gumpaste Cutters....metal, Wilton, ???

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 3 Feb 2007 , 2:29am by BlakesCakes

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 12

If I want to invest in a few gumpaste flower cutters does it matter if they are Wilton, PME, Tinkertech, JEM, etc.? Instructor said Wilton ones have improved... I heard the metal ones can rust and if not double top edge can kill your fingers after a few.... I am very interested in opinions. I am new to this.... what do you suggest?

11 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 12

I have both PME AND JEM flower cutters and they are my favs. I perfer my mettle ones because they seem much crisper a cut and finer in dtail...mine haven't rusted after I have used them numerous times but I guess it is a preference thing. Get 1 or 2 of each brand name and see what you like best.

Jopalis Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 12

Have you heard of Tinkertech?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 12

Some of my favorite cutters are metal from the old Sugar Bouquets and from Creative Cutters in Canada, but I do have a few plastic that are very good quality. The PME Sunflower/Daisy cutter is great because it veins the petals while cutting the paste. Nic Lodge's Easy Rose is one of my greatest finds for doing roses. I do have some of Tinkertechs and they are good quality too. I really wouldn't spend my money on the Wilton cutters, they just don't give you clean cut edges.

Jopalis Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 12

If I get some cutters I think I would like to have....should I have a book to know how to use them?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 12

I think it depends on if you have done any gumpaste and have an idea on how to use the cutters. Some of them come with instructions, I think Tinkertech is one that includes them. Otherwise a gumpaste book or video would be helpful. Nicholas Lodge's A Potpourri of flowers is a great little flower book, and any of his flower DVDs are easy to follow along with if you have the needed cutters and tools.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 12

I have cutters from FMM, Orchard and Tinkertech Two... I really like the Tinkertech the best, but FMM cutters are very inexpensive and a good way to start out.

I don't really use books, but I do have a few Culpitt booklets for tips and tricks and inspiration.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 12

my patchwork cutters have instructions and marion frost has tons of books with ideas and exampes to follow too. She's awesome.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 12

I love metal cutters, I have all kinds, even homemade ones. They all work well.
June

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 12

I love doing gumpaste flowers, I usually do them in my spare time if I'm watching TV or something.
I find the plastic ones really don't cut nicely at all. They usually smoosh the edges rather than cut them. And yea, they just don't come out as nice as the metal ones. I have Marion Frost ones that I use and they're nice. Expensive! ($15 for a calla lilly cutter) but nice.

Jopalis Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 12

Lots of great info. thanks. Haven't seen that book by Nicholas Lodge... A Potpourri of Flowers....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 2:29am
post #12 of 12

I have all types, including the Wilton set. As a matter of fact, the stargazer lily in the basket in my photos was made in Nick Lodge's class (using his Potpourri of Flowers book) with the Wilton long petal/leaf cutter.

When using plastic cutters, the way to get the cleanest edge is to put the paste over the cutting edge of the cutter and roll your rolling pin over the paste until the edge is visible/cut. If the cutter has lots of indentations for petals, lift it up and pull the excess paste away like you're pulling off a bandaid. If the edges look fuzzy, just run the palm of your hand around the edge and then remove the paste.

I find that the Wilton kit is a great buy for some general, utilitarian cutters--long petals, calyxes (sp), small blooms, and if you get it with a coupon, there's a lot there for about $10. It's a fine place to start and play around.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%