Help Asap..cake Size "alternatives" For A 2 Tiered

Decorating By sliceofheaven Updated 2 Feb 2007 , 2:55am by katerpillrgrl

sliceofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sliceofheaven Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:21am
post #1 of 7

Hello out there! I have an order for a child's birthday cake to feed 21-25 people (mostly kids, but adults as well) I posted a few days ago about the tier size being large enough... 9" 2 layer (2" deep each layer) filled base, and a 6" two layer top. Okay......it just doesn't LOOK that big! the bottom will feed 16 but the top doesn't look like it would feed more than 4...I actually didn't purchase the 6" top cake pan yet (because I thought it looked too small..I don't want to spend all the $ on pans at least before I was SURE it would work. I also had the idea of trimming around a 9" round to make it to 6" round if I needed to. But wouldn't that look REALLY tackyl? OR I thought of just cutting the 9" round in half for the top tier (a half moon shape) I kind of need the space for all the detailing/decorations anyway. and a half moon shape would give me about 8 servings. I would still dowel & secure it the same way......but (MAIN ?) would it look ridiculous?? This has to be perfect! I am trying to invest in pans, etc..and with a couple more paid orders, I hopefully won't have this issue again...just the issue of larger cake=larger check. (that's for a whole other day!) I Sure haven't noticed any "half moon" top tiers in the gallery! THANKS for the advice..I NEED IT...cake is DELIVERED this Sat! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

6 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:29am
post #2 of 7

I think the 9 and 6" are fine for 25 people.

aboelkens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aboelkens Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

I am sorry I can't help icon_redface.gif but here is a bump so someone can

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:35am
post #4 of 7

The 6 and 9 inch Rehearsal Dinner cake I did (each cake 2 layers) fed 35 adults with cake left over!

sliceofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sliceofheaven Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:42am
post #5 of 7

Thanks jodie...I feel better now! it just didn't look like it would....maybe we just eat alot of cake icon_biggrin.gif come to think of it...by DH middle name is CAKE icon_lol.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:47am
post #6 of 7

I have a 6'6" 19 year old son......you should see the size of HIS cake slices! icon_lol.gif
This cake is for kids, right? When I had kid parties I sliced small slices. They could always have more if they wanted it and I didn't have to throw away yummy cake!

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:55am
post #7 of 7

I agree, you should do the 6" and the 9."

As for cutting the 6" cake out of the 9" pan, you can do it. It would take a little more time and you would definitely have to do a crumb coat to seal the crumbs you would get from cutting off the crusty outer layer, but it can be done and not look tacky.

I would say, experiment with it and see what you get. If you don't like it, invest in the 6" pan. What I do is I work, and work, and work with it until I like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%