Lemon Cake And Filling Need Help

Baking By klsrtr Updated 12 Oct 2005 , 2:25pm by klsrtr

klsrtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klsrtr Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7

I have a anniversary cake to make on Thursday and I need a good lemon cake recipe that does need to be kept cold. I have to take it to the girl Friday at work and we have limited space to keep it until she leaves work. Any advice.

Thanks
Kim

6 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 7

Hey Klsrtr! I have a great recipe for a lemon cake with lemon filing. It is my most popular flavor. It's called Deberge cake. I actualy got it off the internet. You might try doing a search for it, or I can post the recipe when I go home (I'm at work right now). The filling is heavenly and it's very similar to the lemon filling of a lemon merengue pie.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 7

That sounds yummy! Can't wait till you post the recipe!!! Thanks!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 7

MisDawn, that sounds yummy, I would like that recipe too! [email protected]

klsrtr Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 7

I would really like that recipe.
thank you
kim

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 7

Ok here goes ladies...

2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c unsalted sweet cream butter, softened just enough to leave a fingerprint
1/4 c all vegetable shortening
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 t pure vanilla (You can use imitation, but you are really cheating yourself on flavor.)
3 large egg yolks
3/4 c milk
3 stiff beaten large egg whites

Prepare pans with grease and flour or whatever you use. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixer bowl (I use my KA) cream together shortening and butter. Continue mixing and add sugar and vanilla. Mix until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time letting batter mix 1 minute after each addition. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately. Gently fold in egg whites by hand.

This cake is typically done in six layers. If you choose to bake it in this manner, an 8" round works best. This would require approx. 3/4-1 cup batter in each pan. However, I have made this cake as a sheet cake torted once. (It doesn't really matter. You can use whatever pans you like.) If you do make six thin layers, they should bake for about 10-12 minutes. You will have to vary your baking time depending on what kind of pans you choose to use.

FILLING
1 1/4 c granulated sugar
3 T cornstarch
3 T all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c cold water
3 large beaten egg yolks
2 T butter
1 t fine grated lemon peel
1/3 c lemon juice

In a saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, flour, salt and water. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes longer, then stir 1 cup of hot mixture into egg yolks (to temper the eggs). Pour egg mixture into saucepan and stir. Bring mixture to a GENTLE boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and lemon peel. Gradually stir in lemon juice and mix well. Cover pan with plastic wrap and let sit until cooled to room temperature.

klsrtr Posted 12 Oct 2005 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much I will give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%