Unusual Items Turned Into Cake Decorating "tools".

Decorating By tanyap Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 9:27pm by laceylady

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:07pm
post #151 of 266

P.S. if they don't set just right in the cookie/candy tray I place a little paper towel under them so they set even. Great storage for small flowers especially rosebuds in the candy trays.

RRufus83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRufus83 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:19pm
post #152 of 266

First of all when I took cake decorating classes, I appropriated a plastic rolling tool box from my husband's garage. He wasn't using it and its perfect when you have to take so much to class. A lot of the ladies in the class adopted that idea because you have 2 layers of storage in the box.

Also in the hardware department of my local walmart I found small boxes intended for screws, etc. with dividers. I use them to put my royal icing flowers and they stay nice and fresh. The boxes run anywhere from $1.99 to $3.00 depending on the size you get. The larger one is good for violet leaves and for roses.

Thanks for all the tips from everyone who's posted here! CC Rocks icon_smile.gif

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #153 of 266

Styrofoam egg cartons are another good item to store dried flowers in.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #154 of 266

I found the Venetian Plaster tool (Debbie Travis) from Canadian Tire wonderful...comes with 4 different flexible scrapers that are super for smoothing icing and can be used to score etc..

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 8:36pm
post #155 of 266

I use a hypodermic syringe to add small amounts of water to royal icing when making color flow. You can really control the amount of water you use. I went to my local pharmacy and explained that I was going to use them for cake decorating. They gave me a couple at no charge.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:18pm
post #156 of 266

Wow! these are some great ideas.

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 11:18pm
post #157 of 266

Resurrecting this old thread... after reading through it all I didn't find the answer to my question so here it is... Is it safe to use PVC pipe as a rolling pin? I assume it must be as many people do. I was thinking someone researched this some time back. I just couldn't find the thread... Thanks.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:30am
post #158 of 266

I have used pvc pipe as a rolling pin for about two years now. I sterilized it with boiling water and anti-bacterial dish detergent. I cleaned the inside using an extendable swiffer duster with the soap and water. Mine is about 3 feet long, with a 3-inch diameter.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:36am
post #159 of 266

I had often wondered the same thing...but, then if you watch the Food Network cake contests you will see them using PVC and Stainless Steel Pipe as structural supports inside the cake!

If PVC is SAFE for drinking water what does the FDA say about it's use in food prep/serving?

I know lots of people use it, I just never have.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:59am
post #160 of 266

I doubt that the FDA says anything about it's use in food prep, as it is not designed for this. I can only add is that if the FDA approves hot water to go through it (up to 190 degrees F) without a concern for chemical leaching, than I doubt it would say anything about using it at room temperature, which is normally around 70 degrees F.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:00am
post #161 of 266

Thanks so much for resurrecting this thread--it's awesome!!! So many fantastic and creative ideas!!!

gmcakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:02am
post #162 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I doubt that the FDA says anything about it's use in food prep, as it is not designed for this. I can only add is that if the FDA approves hot water to go through it (up to 190 degrees F) without a concern for chemical leaching, than I doubt it would say anything about using it at room temperature, which is normally around 70 degrees F.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

This was pretty much what I was thinking! If it is safe for water use in homes, it can't be THAT harmful!

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:43pm
post #163 of 266

Cupcake55 I also use a syringe, but I also use mine for sucking the air out of air pockets in fondant.

To ensure an even thickness for fondant I use the rods that are inside of roller blinds, the ones located at the bottom to keep them weighted down. The icing is then about 1/2 cm thick (dont know what that is in inches, Sorry)

This is a fantastic thread!

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:53pm
post #164 of 266

I haven't read through this entire thread, so pardon me if I'm repeating -- I use an apple corer to gut out my (doll) cakes before inserting the doll.

BearLuvsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BearLuvsCakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 4:33pm
post #165 of 266

My mom gave me a great idea...... I have so many colors of fondant that are leftovers from making some cake in the past and I may want to resuse it but when I put it in regular bags it gets dried and hard so fast and I always end up throwing it away. Well the other night I was watching her use her foodsaver to suck the air out of bags of meat so she could freeze them and i figured that it would be great to keep my fondant soft!!!! so now i need to go buy one!

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:10pm
post #166 of 266

So many great ideas! Thanks everyone.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:50pm
post #167 of 266

Well I read through this whole thread and was shocked after all these great ideas that I would still have something to share.

I went to the pet store and in the bird section they have plastic rods for inside the cages for the birds to stand on. There is one that has little lines in the rod.

Use it for gumpaste or fondant and it looks like grosgrain ribbon. Much much cheaper then buying the rolling pin. Works just as well.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 6:53pm
post #168 of 266

I use the hooks for shower curtains to keep my metal cutters on. All the cutters for a specific flower gets hooked on one and the I hook the bunch on a wire clothes hanger. I also tag each one with the name of the flower

tigerlilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerlilly Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:20pm
post #169 of 266

this is a great thread i'm glad someone found it. you can use an electric skillet on a low setting with a dish towel covering the top to keep your chocolate warm while making candy.

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:48pm
post #170 of 266

Love, love, love all these ideas! I think my head may burst! icon_smile.gif

Destini

angela40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angela40 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:17pm
post #171 of 266

Could you also keep your candy making chocolate warm by putting it in your Crock Pot on low or warm setting (the setting that keeps the food warm after it is already cooked)?

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 9:31pm
post #172 of 266

Did anyone mention plastic cups? I cut them in half they make great flower and buttlerly formers. ooh ohh and plastic spoons too.

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 9:49pm
post #173 of 266

tuna cans to bake make sample cakes in

what time and temp?

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 12:25pm
post #174 of 266

I like using the cans that Tyson chunked chicken comes in instead of a tuna can. They're just a bit larger and deeper. I usually bake on the same temp., just not nearly as long. All depends on your oven.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 12:51pm
post #175 of 266

Geez I must have been hiding under a rock! I just saw this amazing thread! Such ingenious uses of simple household tools. I know this has been mentioned but I use a tall glass to hold my icing bags, ziplock sandwich bags as icing bags, paint brushes and pastry brushes to paint on designs. That's about all that comes to mind.

I'll tell you what I'm doing first thing tomorrow though.....going out and getting me some play doh toys!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:25pm
post #176 of 266

Plastic milk crates, I hope everyone remembers what these are.. hehe I use those to raise the cake boards higher so it's easier to reach on my low table. The larger ones are good for sheet cakes. I'm kind of tall.

I buy 78 cent plastic folders, the kind kids use to put their book reports in, in a light color like yellow so they're mostly transparent, or even the ones with clear fronts; I use these to make homemade stencils for the odd jobs I want to do and just can't find a stencil for.

79 cent paint trays, instead of the 3 dollar ones wilton sells. They're found in with other crafts/paints, etc. I use them to make half circle chocolates, or for actually mixing my paints. The center can be used to make plaques.

Photos, since I don't word things very well. icon_biggrin.gif The report cover isn't the exact one I use, I use the one that has the bendable clips because they're cheaper to buy, but it gives you an idea of what to look for. The plastic is very sturdy, and easily cut with an exacto knife.
LL
LL
LL
LL

gmcakes Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:50pm
post #177 of 266

Great idea with the report covers...and perfect timing! Almost all school supplies go on sale this time of year!!! I may need to stock up!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #178 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingmoments

pizza cutter for cutting fondant- I used the fondant cutter and it didnt give me the clean edge I needed so thats no longer used. my husbands tools for cutting dowl rods.

A playdoh fun factory (clean of course) for fondant ropes......ran to walmart in the middle of the night because i got tired to rolling out and get ugly ropes.....

i use the fun factory too for hair!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #179 of 266

new tool box
for storing all my stuff!!! icon_lol.gif

ljudd1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljudd1969 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 10:57pm
post #180 of 266

so many neat ideas, so little time. it's going to take a while, but i'm going to go thru this whole thread and take some serious notes. thanks for all the great tips! this is so helpful - i would never think of this stuff on my own. i'm the poster child for functional fixedness! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%