Getting Rid Of Chalky Patches

Sugar Work By JacsMommy Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 3:42am by Zombiecakes

JacsMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JacsMommy Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me how to make my molded candy melts shiny? Can I brush them with something? I think I stuck the molds in the fridge too soon, so they ended up with those chalky looking patches and I need a quick fix for it. Thanks.

6 replies
GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 7

Yes that's what mine have! I just posted something on this this morning. How frustrating. Mine also stuck to the molds!

CakeQueen52485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeQueen52485 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:53am
post #3 of 7

Try mixing in a 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil per full bag of melts. And I had the same problem with my candy sticking to the molds as well. I found out that by simply painting the molds with some crisco first helped them to pop right out, and thay were also pretty shinny looking too.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 7

First of all, do not EVER wash your candy molds with soap or detergent. That will ruin the finish. Rub the inside of your mold with a soft cotton cloth. This will help return the sheen.

Also, your chocolate may have been overheated.

There really isn't anything you can do to fix the spots without causing a different problem. If you have confectioners glaze, you can paint a coat on and that will make your candy shiny.

Zombiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zombiecakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

Am I correct in assuming that once the melts have gotten chalky from overheating they cannot be re-melted without the same problem happening again when they solidify?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 7

I think you can re-melt them and have a better result the next time--just don't get them too hot and stir them very well.

You're re-incorporating the fat that has come to the surface--not exactly tempering, but close to it.

I'd also suggest mixing them in with some fresh candy melts during the re-melt.

HTH
Rae

Zombiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zombiecakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:42am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for replying! I went ahead and remelted very gently with a generous splash of oil and had success. I'm just glad I started experimenting weeks before I actually needed the molded pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%