Royal Blue Accents On Wedding Cake

Decorating By SUGARMAMA Updated 31 May 2013 , 6:48pm by vgcea

SUGARMAMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUGARMAMA Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 15

i can't picture any ideas using royal blue in a wedding cake.....any ideas? what color works best with royal blue?

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 15

Royal blue is always a hard color to incorporate into a wedding cake because the color isn't Natural.Maybe use accents like ribbon or small dots on border or the cake top in silk flowers in royal blue and the rest of the cake basically white.

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 15

yellow or gold goes nice with that kind of blue. Good luck

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 15

Delftware is the first thing that comes to mind. I know I've seen some cakes done in that style (including in one of Collette's books) but can't find any online. Here is a link to a plate as an example, but I don't imagine you'd want the little Dutch girl on it. icon_smile.gif

http://store1.yimg.com/I/delftwares_1830_16273386

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 15

Yeah, I was thinking Royal Blue and white or ivory!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 15

Ivory...Gold...burgundy....

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 15

For a real crisp look. Royal Blue and White.

For something with a bit more vintage type look to it. Royal blue and Ivory.

I have seen a a cake done in white fondant with royal blue ribbon and yellow lilies. The cake was stacked and the flowers cascaded. It was nicely done.

Princess

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 15 Oct 2005 , 1:46am
post #8 of 15

I did a wedding cake with royal blue and 3 shades of peach. I thought the colors were beautiful. Check this out. There is another pic of this cake in my photos. icon_smile.gif
LL

mayra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayra Posted 15 Oct 2005 , 1:51am
post #9 of 15

I went to a friends wedding and she had a white cake with Royal blue icing and it also had some silver on it. It was beautiful.

Girlfriendal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Girlfriendal Posted 30 May 2013 , 9:23am
post #10 of 15

AI was going to do a buttercream cake that was 4 tiers alternating white/ royal blue/ white/ royal blue...right until my local cake shop owner questioned my purchase of the big bottle of blue dye. And when I told him my plans he told me he thought I should steer clear of that idea unless the bride wanted all her wedding pics to feature people with blue teeth, lips, and tongues - a very good point I thought! But I have seen other cakes on the internet made like this and I wonder how they for away with having no blue mouthed people, or if they just didn't care...

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 30 May 2013 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 15

Visit "design seeds". It's a lovely website with pictures of gorgeous color combinations!

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 31 May 2013 , 2:51am
post #12 of 15

I was asked to do a wedding cake with Navy as the color. Unfortunately they called off the wedding but here is the sketch. I was going to do ribbon that was navy.

There were Pearls on the second tier, piped lace on one and quilting on another. Can't remember now. Did purple orchids, purple peonies, another tropical flower...ect.

There is one more idea..lol Good luck!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:05am
post #13 of 15

AAir brush?

Original message sent by Girlfriendal

I was going to do a buttercream cake that was 4 tiers alternating white/ royal blue/ white/ royal blue...right until my local cake shop owner questioned my purchase of the big bottle of blue dye. And when I told him my plans he told me he thought I should steer clear of that idea unless the bride wanted all her wedding pics to feature people with blue teeth, lips, and tongues - a very good point I thought! But I have seen other cakes on the internet made like this and I wonder how they for away with having no blue mouthed people, or if they just didn't care...

Girlfriendal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Girlfriendal Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:33am
post #14 of 15

AWouldn't airbrush be even worse? I did a Wonder Woman cake last year with the whole bottom tier airbrushed dark blue. It was a birthday party, and I imagine blue mouthes were everywhere! I know what the blue airbrush dye did to their pristine white carpet when someone dropped a piece of cake on it. I *did* warn them about that!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 31 May 2013 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 15

AI would imagine a thin layer of airbrush color over white icing would produce less colored mouths than icing that is colored through and through with a greater amount of color. Either way folks are gonna be blue in the mouth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%