I Could Kick Myself...

Decorating By PerryStCakes Updated 1 Feb 2007 , 4:52pm by RisqueBusiness

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 7

I am so angry with myself, I can hardly stand it!

This corporate client of mine, who often sends cakes to their clients through me, ordered a cake a few weeks ago that was to be delivered yesterday. Many of my business clients don't really care much about what the cake is, or how it looks, so long as it looks great and sends the right message. I don't remember this order being any different so i made them a great cake and delivered it.

The client calls me after seeing a photo and gets really mad - they ordered a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate flowers. They emailed those specifics to me a month ago and I somehow missed it!!!

They were not happy, to say the least. I told them that the person who I delivered to was really psyched when she saw the cake, but they didnt care. So I had to give a FULL REFUND icon_sad.gif

I am so angry at myself! The truth is that I read that initial email when I was away on vacation and I guess I just forgot that they wanted chocolate. BOO HOO! I have never done that before. I am so upset...

Anyway, here's a pic of what was delivered.
LL

6 replies
toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 7

It's a very pretty cake. I'm sorry this happened.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 7

You apologized, you refunded it, the recipient of the cake loved it, don't beat yourself up over it... I know how you feel about not getting the order exactly right, but you've really done all you can do about it now ... it was a mistake, we're human and we do make errors ... btw, you're cake was really nice so don't fret ... you did a great job on it icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 7

lol, could you have passed off that light brown icing for a "german chocolate icing?" lol Sorry it happened.

Could you have given a % off your next cake instead of a full refund?

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 7

I understand your frustration, but don't be so hard on yourself - it was a mistake and we all make them! Chalk it up to experience (and remember to double-check those emails in future icon_lol.gif ).

I hope you don't lose the client for future orders - the cake is lovely by the way, I can see why the recipient was thrilled with it.

Kelly

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7

It happens. Customer service is not measured in how well you handle the initial transaction, but is measured in how you handle the problem. You handled it well.

My husband is always reminding me of a Judge Wampner case he saw once. Bride was sueing the cake decorator because the flowers on the cake were pink and they were supposed to be light purple. Wampner kept asking them, "Was it edible? Did you eat it?" Yes and yes.

Case dismissed.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It happens. Customer service is not measured in how well you handle the initial transaction, but is measured in how you handle the problem. You handled it well.

My husband is always reminding me of a Judge Wampner case he saw once. Bride was sueing the cake decorator because the flowers on the cake were pink and they were supposed to be light purple. Wampner kept asking them, "Was it edible? Did you eat it?" Yes and yes.

Case dismissed.

OMG gotta love this.. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%