How Do I Make A Bed Cake?

Decorating By jdavis22 Updated 2 Feb 2007 , 12:31pm by Cake_Geek

jdavis22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdavis22 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a cake that looks like a bed for my daughter's 10th birthday party. It's a sleepover. I'm going to use fondant for the bedposts, pillows and bedspread, but I'm curious how I should go about making the headboard and footboard? Should I use color flow, or would that not be sturdy enough?

Any and all help is very much appreciated!!!!

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 7

For the box lid cakes, a lot of them are only fondant covered cake board...

Would that work for your head and footboards icon_smile.gif

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 7

Fondant covered cake board, or just in Gum Paste. Make them in advance so they will dry.
Good Luck

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 7

jdavis - i'm just finishing a bed cake - a friend broke his leg snow-boarding. i made a headboard out of a base of corrugated cardboard covered with foil, then covered this with fondant. i used ths cardboard specifically so that i could push wooden skewers in through the little channels inside. i'll then push exposed sticks into cake. hope this helps.
i'll post the pics this weekend.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:11am
post #5 of 7

Made 2 of them Made the head and bottom board out of gumpaste, let dry and painted them After i finished decorating the bed, I just attached them to the cake with a little extra Bc. Used the pan I was going to use as a guide for the size. Make the Boards a little longer and higher than the cake would be.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 5:20am
post #6 of 7

Found this thread on 4 poster/medevial bed:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-52781-.html

HTH

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 7

I made one for an order last year. I used fondant to make a spindle headboard but I didn't make a footboard b/c of the quilt I was putting on the cake.

For the end posts and horizontal support, I wrapped the fondant around a skewer. The middle pieces were just formed and all put together until it dried. It dried very nicely. I then painted it with gold luster dust and glued it to the bed with bc.

I remember someone remarking when I posted it here that they didn't know why a picture of a bed was in the gallery! I guess it looked good!!

A pic should be in my photos, but if not, it is on my website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%