Can Buttercream Transfers Work On Fondant?

Decorating By -TenderHeart Updated 10 Mar 2005 , 9:06pm by flayvurdfun

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 2:29am
post #1 of 8

I'm wondering if buttercream transfers work on fondant-covered cakes? My thinking is that if it's a matter of filling in an outline with frosting, it should work on fondant-topped cakes too. Am I right? It would be fun to try.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, BCT work on top of fondant. It is no different then icing with regular BC after covering your cake in fondant, the BCT sticks to the fondant fine. I make sure that I do some sort of boarder around the BCT after I place it on the cake to ensure it doesn't slip or move around.

icon_biggrin.gif

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, sgirvan. icon_smile.gif I don't know that I'll be trying this soon--it's somewhere down my list of things to experiment with--, but this is all good to know. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 7:55am
post #4 of 8

I have seen a cake w/fondant and bct. It looked good I thought but the people at the party were whispering so that the decorator and bride to be didnt hear it, that a fondant cake is supposed to look elegant, and when you put a bct on it it cheapened the look.....

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 8

I was thinking that also. but not sure since I wasn't actually looking at one.

What is the situation you're thinking about doing this for. I mean, we've all seen cartoonish fondant cakes. So it might be OK for the occasion.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 12:38am
post #6 of 8

So if you do it on fondant or MMF you wouldn't freeze it right? You would just pipe out the outlines & filling in w/ BC? It wouldn't be easier because you'd have to make the fondant & that takes a little time. I will be so happy when this wedding is over w/ so I can start doing FBCT!! That's what I'll do from now on!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 8

a BCT has to be frozen or it won't work... period. If you don't want to freeze it, you'll have to use the BC Glaze technique or something like that.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 10 Mar 2005 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 8

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I just love it when we are all on the same page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%