Getting Started W/ Gumpaste

Decorating By Kristy Updated 10 Oct 2005 , 1:37am by ntertayneme

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 1:40am
post #1 of 3

First I just want to say that you people who do the gumpaste flowers, I admire you all so much! I was just wondering how you all got started with it. I know wilton has a gumpaste flower kit, but I've been hesitant to get it because I wasn't sure how helpful it was going to be. Also, is wilton's recipe the best one to go with? I'm sure people have different preferences.

I haven't bought anything cake related in the past 2 weeks and I'm going through withdrawl!! icon_surprised.gif

2 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 12:56am
post #2 of 3

Kristy---
Gumpaste was very intimidating to me too at first. I buy the Wilton Gumpaste mix where all you do is add water. I don't do enough work with gumpaste to justify making my own. You mix it and then mix in powdered sugar---very easy. I bought the Wilton time saving flower kit which is pretty easy but you just have to play around with it and keep trying. It will get easier and you will get better. I also found a cutter that is actually several petals together rather than the inidividual petal like in the Wilton kit. I actually like this better too.
Also another tip that helped me is to buy the styrofoam cones (this is how you start your roses). They are a little pricey but they sure helped me understand the size and shape of this important step.
Just keep playing around with it and in no time you'll be doing great!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 1:37am
post #3 of 3

Gumpaste isn't too bad to work with ... just remember it dries very quickly so work with small pieces. I cut out enough pieces for a couple of flowers and work them up, then I'll do another small piece and continue that way..

I also bought the Wilton gumpaste kit .. the book isn't the best in the world, but if you just practice with it, it does get easier icon_smile.gif

You can also mix tylose powder with fondant and it will firm up just like a gumpaste. I've done this with some flowers and bows I've made and it worked really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%