Spider-Man Cake Ideas Anyone?

Decorating By Lisa Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 2:25am by rahi

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone...my nephew is having his 3rd birthday next weekend and the theme is spiderman. I want this cake to be really special. Anyone have ideas to share?

11 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 12

Bake a large hexagon cake- single layer. Create a web pattern on it and then do a buttercream transfer of Spiderman onto the cake.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 12

I don't know if any stores in your area offer edible images (or if you do them yourself) but I just did a Spiderman cake and put the childs face in place of Spiderman's

Here is the link; http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=492&cat=0&pos=6

Gosh..I hope the link works, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't!

m0use Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 12

It worked for me icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 12

Cool...thanks!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 12

I just made a Spiderman cake for my son's 4th birthday, it is a 3D head & shoulders... the picture is in the gallery, if you want to click on the link below. If it doesn't work, the pic is under children's birthday cakes. If you're interested I'll tell you how I made it.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=60&pos=23

Lisa Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 12

Oooo...all good ideas. MrsMissey, your edible image is priceless! You know I still can't do that reverse shell border. It's like a handicap I just can't overcome. What is wrong with me!?! I'm going to have to set aside an entire day to practice.

I could do an edible image but I've done a lot of them lately. I've been given free reign with this cake. It's not too often I get to do whatever I want with a cake this size (50-60 serv). I really want to do something that will make my nephew say WOW! I recently bought the older wilton pan. I thought about incorporating that into the cake somehow. Spiderman tearing through the top of the cake came to mind but I don't know how to pull this off without it just looking like a mess.

I love your spiderman bust Melissa! I would love the instructions. It's been on the top of my list. I'll also be transporting it. How well do you think it would travel?

melissablack Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 5:09am
post #8 of 12

Hi Lisa,

I had to travel with my cake too, since we had the b-day party at a park, and it was just fine. The head part is just a dummy, so the cake is actually not that heavy.

It was really easy, I just made a 10" round cake, and a 6" cake which I just kinda carved and cut to make the shoulders, attaching with icing. I bought a styrafoam wig head for $4 at a local wig shop, stuck it on a dowel rod, and put it in the cake. Then I proceeded to ice the head just as if it were a cake. I used my son's spiderman figurine as a model, to draw all the lines, eyes, etc....

Everyone at the party and strangers at the park were definitely wowed by this cake. People were coming over to look at it and ask how I made it. Most of all though, my son LOVED it!

Good luck! If you decide to make it and need any more help just let me know. I had tons of help from ladies on this boardicon_smile.gif

Melissaicon_smile.gif

m0use Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 12

Lisa- you could take Melissa's cake, place it on sheet cake that is decorated like a wall and make it look like he it sticking his head out of a hole in the wall.

Lisa Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks Melissa...I think I'm going to try it. I really like m0use's idea of putting it on top of a sheet cake too. This would give me the extra servings I need. Now I just need to find a wig shop icon_smile.gif . We cake decorators end up in the strangest places!

melissablack Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 12

I know what you mean about ending up in the strangest places, lol. I felt kind of silly going into the wig store, and walking out of there with my 'head' in a bag.

I'd love to see a picture when you're done making the cake!

Melissa icon_biggrin.gif

rahi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rahi Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:25am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissablack

I just made a Spiderman cake for my son's 4th birthday, it is a 3D head & shoulders... the picture is in the gallery, if you want to click on the link below. If it doesn't work, the pic is under children's birthday cakes. If you're interested I'll tell you how I made it.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=60&pos=23

hi melissa this is an sos
please send me directions to make your 3d spoderman cake. my 4yr nephew has a party on 9th. please rescue me asap. appreciate it thanx
rahi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%