Royal Icing Butterflies?

Decorating By newdec Updated 1 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm by ntertayneme

newdec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newdec Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make royal icing butterflies. I plan to make the left wing and right wing separately, joining them together with royal.

Would the cookie decorating recipe work for this or should I use a stiffer icing?

THANK YOU!!!

6 replies
aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 7

Personally, I would use a decently stiff royal, but usually that is what you start with when I am making royal for cookies. You may or may not fill in the wings with flood work, but if you do all you will need to do is to thin it out a little so it fills in easily.

HTH,

Odessa

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 7

I've made butterflies like that before. I used a fairly stiff RI for the body then stuck the wings in and propped them up with cotton balls. I think I made some well over a year ago and the ones I have left still look great!

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 7

I made butterflies exactly like that (in my photos on cupcakes) and I followed the directions from Peggy Porschen(sp?). I made 'V's out of thin cardboard so that after all the wings have dried you line the cardboard 'V's with parchment paper, pipe a body and position the wings. This way the butterflies are in flight looking.

If you need the exact directions PM and I'll scan the book for you.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

I've also made butterflies using melted CandyMelts. I like being able to just melt and pipe. They harden quickly, too, so you don't have to wait very long to use them!

newdec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newdec Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all!

I've got my patterns and I'm going to give it a try today!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 7

You can also make them with Colorflow too ... I have some stored in an airtight container that I made several months ago and they still look great ... I like the colorflow because it doesn't dull as much as RI does. Good luck and let us know how they turn out for you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%