Sticking 6” Fondant Dummy To 8”?

Decorating By CassiaM Updated 28 Jun 2022 , 3:23pm by SandraSmiley

CassiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiaM Posted 25 Jun 2022 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all, 

I have my first big wedding cake to deliver today. It’s almost ready to go, just have to dowel and finish up with a few last minute decorations. The cake is 4 tiers, but the bottom and top tier are dummies (12” snd 6”). I’m going to stack on site, but since the little 6” is so light I’m wondering what’s the best way to get it to stick to the real 8”? They are covered in fondant. I was just going to pipe a bit of BC but I read somewhere that using a few toothpicks in the bottom of the dummy would work too… now I’m not sure what the best bet would be. I also have skewers that I could use. Hoping for some advice from more seasoned cakers!! Thanks!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2022 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 3

whoops, i'm late to the party here -- but just setting it on there should have been fine -- only thing about toothpicks is you need to remove before serving -- no biggie exactly but it is a slight liability concern -- skewers are not needed unless it was outside and windy enough to alarm you -- in that case one skewer would do -- 

but i know i'm late with my comment so -- hope all went very well!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jun 2022 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 3

I am even more late (sorry!), but I agree with -K8memphis. Your instincts were correct. All you needed was a dab of buttercream, especially since you are stacking on site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%