How Much Do You Charge For Decorating?

Baking By Zbowles Updated 21 Jun 2022 , 3:22pm by SandraSmiley

Zbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zbowles Posted 16 Jun 2022 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 5

So, for a little context, I'm located in NY and I own and operate a small baking business from my home. However, my uncle owns a more old-fashioned baking business and on occasion, he'll call me in for customers who want fancier cake art and fondant. However, our price ranges differ drastically...so it's a little awkward when he asks me to come in and do work because sometimes my price points for what I do are almost as much as the cake itself! It's a little tricky to navigate...that being said, I got a request to recreate the cake below. Now, what I am providing is literally just the decorations. I will be passed an already frosted cake and what I will have to do is as follows...

• Airbrush the cake blue and orange 
  • Create the fondant cards, spider, and little symbols and place on cake 
  • Paint on the flames + lightening with gel food coloring 

I do not have to provide the pop figures! 

So my question is...what would you all charge? I'm thinking around $50! What do you all think? 

Hunter X Hunter Cake  <- Cake is here, couldn't upload the image for some reason. Thanks for any advice! 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2022 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 5

i would say to determine how much time and product you will need -- so decide on your hourly rate plus your out of pocket cost for products, car expenses, utilities  etc. but unfortunately the link did not work for me -- $50 doesn't sound real far off depending...

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2022 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 5

idk i mean depending on how long it takes you to do things and how detailed you're going to be -- you're doing this as a kind of favor to your uncle too? ordinarily, the air brushing and the flames i would not charge additionally for if i was doing the entire cake -- i think $50 sounds good!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2022 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 5

i'm picturing a regular cake, meaning not a tier cake

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jun 2022 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 5

The link didn't work for me either, but what you are describing sounds like a bargain at $50, but reasonable. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%