Refrigerating Gold Leaf?

Decorating By CassiaM Updated 29 Jun 2022 , 1:42pm by -K8memphis

CassiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiaM Posted 15 Jun 2022 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I’ve never worked with gold leaf before but I’m doing a wedding cake for the 25th and I’d like to use it. Cake will be covered with white MMF, and will need to be refrigerated the night before. Can I decorate it using the gold leaf and then refrigerate it? I’d be sure to keep it in its box and wrap as it comes to room temp (as we do with fondant), I just want to be sure nothing ugly will be going on with the gold leaf when I take it out at the venue. 

Thanks!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2022 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 8

i have refrigerated gold leaf on swiss meringue and it was fine -- test it though to be sure for all your specific parameters -- i applied it onto a cold cake too  -- but i was ready to whip it back & forth into the fridge too --

best to you

sunflower    

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2022 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 8

and probably none of it is really safe to eat but you do need to buy the expensive stuff -- super ticky to work with of course -- buy extra, don't cut it close --

sunflower

CassiaM Posted 20 Jun 2022 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much for your reply, it’s very helpful!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jun 2022 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 8

It is not affected by moisture, so should be just fine. Goldschlager (don't know about spelling) has gold leaf floating around in it for years on end.

CassiaM Posted 25 Jun 2022 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 8

I successfully fridged’ it overnight! I Didn’t think it was 100% unaffected by moisture, it worked out beautifully! I was even able to steam the fondant (already had the gold flake on it), and it did not affect the gold. 

Thanks ladies!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jun 2022 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 8

You are very welcome!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2022 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 8

yay!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%