Bacon Fat In Pie Crust

Baking By angesradieux Updated 7 Mar 2022 , 6:49pm by -K8memphis

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 6 Mar 2022 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 5

So, my axe throwing league has a potluck on tournament week. I know going in I will not be winning the tournament but I'm getting ready to kick some butt with my potluck recipes! I'm so, ridiculously excited to have a crowd to feed! Hasn't happened in a depressingly long time.

I'm planning on bringing a dessert and a savory dish. Guinness chocolate cake with whiskey ganache filling and vanilla buttercream for sweet, and I'm thinking of dusting off my French onion gazette recipe for a savory dish.

In the past, I've made it with my standard all butter pie crust. But I'm thinking of experimenting and adding some bacon fat to the crust for some extra smoky flavor. Anyone here have any advice? Can I just replace some of the butter with bacon fat in a 1:1 ratio by weight? Or do I need to change the ratio if I'm subbing in bacon fat? I was thinking of replacing half the butter. Is that enough to make a difference in the flavor profile?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 6 Mar 2022 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 5

I don't have any advice on replacement amount. When you replace butter or shortening you use the same amount. How does bacon fat act when it's refrigerated? I would be disappointed to taste bacon in what I thought was a onion pie, but I don't like bacon

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2022 , 1:33am
post #3 of 5

idk how it would do in pie crust -- why don't you make a teensy amount in advance like quarter the recipe and make 'crackers'

cheese would be good in the crust too --

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 7 Mar 2022 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 5

I render my own pork fat and use it in pies successfully! I use it for sweet and savory pies...like in the olden days! If you want to use bacon fat, be aware that depending on how the bacon was produced, the smokiness could be really intense. Try to render de fat from a naturally smoked bacon, not one with smocked flavor added. I use the pork fat in a ration 1 to 1, but carefully. Pork fat is softer compared to high saturated fats like butter and shortening. By the way, is waaaay healthier too! Also, do not replace the total amount of fat for bacon fat, the flavor will be very intense. A couple of tablespoons will do! As -K8memphis suggested, do a test run first for you to know what to expect in terms of flavor and consistency. Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2022 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 5

pig2 bacon fat makes the best popcorn -- and another favorite is, of all things sunflower oil -- not that anyone asked -- no extra charge blush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%