Recipe For Sugar Free Icing For Gingerbread House?

Decorating By rocketgirl96 Updated 23 Dec 2021 , 5:34pm by jchuck

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 23 Dec 2021 , 4:51am
post #1 of 4

My son can’t have sugar but we always decorate a Gingerbread House. Does anyone have a sugar free icing recipe that will work for a gingerbread house?

thank you,

Christine

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2021 , 6:33am
post #2 of 4

Don’t really know if it will work but maybe try sugar free chocolate… like candy wafers…

if you cannot reply to this just make another post referring to this one.   We all know how it goes:).  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2021 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 4

just off top of my head -- you mean the kind of icing to glue gingerbread walls together? maybe a meringue made with cream of tartar and stevia -- stevia of course is an acquired taste -- there's zylitol* too and lots of sugar alcohols you could try instead -- monk sugar stuff -- can't remember the name -- there's products with stevia plus another sweetener that's not as hard to swallow as plain stevia -- zwerve is a brand of no sugar sweetener --

I think I would bake the walls with a tab in one wall and a cut out to insert it into another wall -- I'd use a zester to get it to fit after baking -- then you don't have to depend solely on the icing-- 

also you could make a grooved bottom board to insert the walls into to help with construction -- tabbing the roof is a great idea though -- then just disguise it with sugar free candy --

that's just a pure guess on the meringue --

what did you come up with doing a search?

*zylitol is very harmful to dogs

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 23 Dec 2021 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 4

Ok you can use a monk fruit and erythritol sweetener like Lakanto brand. That will work perfectly well. The difficulty is using royal icing. I buy a royal icing brand that is soy based, where you just add water. I’m in Canada, so not sure what you have in your particular area??? But do a google search. 

Here is the recipe and instructions I use. And in the cookie recipe, substitute the Lakanto sweetener.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/gingerbread-house-recipe/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%