Woe Is Me I Need An Old Recipe I Can't Find

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 3 Dec 2021 , 6:50pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2021 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 26

it's from the old betty crocker book on page 302 and of course mine goes from page 300 to 303 -- ha! i took the streusel page out and put it somewhere 'convenient' -- all that to say it's the streusel topping for apple pie -- made with white sugar -- it has one cup of flour and the other ingredients are in quarter cups and half cups -- it's just flour, sugar & butter -- should be one cup flour, half cup sugar and a quarter cup butter -- but i like to re-read it y'know?

i just made it a few weeks ago and i got the recipe off the betty crocker website -- no can find now ???

and this old book of mine with missing pages is it's own story -- the binding broke on the original book decades ago then it all came aloose from the binder it has been living in since then -- then it got too heavy for me to arm wrestle hence i removed the page -- anyhow...

anybody???

25 replies
-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2021 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 26

unless it was:

one cup flour

half cup butter

half cup sugar

that sounds more like it...i think

-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2021 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 26

there was no cinnamon or anything -- pretty sure it's just three ingredients

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Nov 2021 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 26

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/dutch-apple-pie/815d821f-058d-4177-93be-e157390e947b

This is Betty Crocker's Dutch Apple Pie.  The streusel is made with both brown and white sugar.  Could this be it?

-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2021 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 26

i know! idk what happened to it! no, not it -- it had no third of a cup measurements -- but Thank You!

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Nov 2021 , 4:02am
post #6 of 26

I had one of those cook books, but I gave it to my daughter when she married.  It was her favorite.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Nov 2021 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 26

yes fantastic cookbook — nostalgic favorite

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2021 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 26

it's one cup flour and a half cup each of butter & sugar -- had enough time to ponder

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Nov 2021 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 26

Glad you figured it out K8 ❤️

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2021 , 5:02am
post #10 of 26

Yes June I am too. I checked our old book but the apple pie was not on pg 302…. It was on pg 297 or so & had the same note as what Sandra said .. used brn sugar. 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2021 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 26

thank you, lynne and june!

lynne, I think your book and my book were published in different years so they changed 'em up a bit I guess -- while I was looking I saw a tasty sounding recipe for a sour cream pie -- was fun flipping through the old book -- thanks again

jchuck Posted 26 Nov 2021 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 26

K8. I have a really old recipe book from the 1930’s…so much fun going through it. Interesting terminology…and instructions. 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 27 Nov 2021 , 12:03pm
post #13 of 26

Hey Boss, this is your funniest post ever! What a lovely sorority we have here! 

I own hundreds of cookbooks, but not a single Betty Crocker one, I should be ashamed. 

I asked my daughter if the sisters have cookbooks in the kitchen and she said they had only one... an old Betty Crocker book! Voila!!!

Love to you all...get a warm coat and a hot cider, winter is coming!

Apple pie cheers from NJ!!!

jchuck Posted 28 Nov 2021 , 12:45am
post #14 of 26

Well dear Reggie…..we’re getting snow overnight…2-3 cm. Then snowing again tomorrow,  starting mid morning, through to the evening. Another 3-5 cm. Woke up with a awful migraine today because of the system moving in. Glad it’s the wknd, so no one has to rush out and shovel to get to work!! Think it’s going to be a hot apple cider, watch christmas movies kinda Sunday afternoon. 

As for cookbooks, a couple of years ago I did a purge of cookbooks I never used. Gave to Sally Ann. I have recipe books that are dog eared from flipping through. Some with stains and splatters on the pages. My most cherished are the recipe cards in my mom’s handwriting. I have recipes cut out from a magazine that doesn’t exist anymore…from a wonderful Canadian baker. I still swear by the recipes. 

jchuck Posted 30 Nov 2021 , 3:19am
post #15 of 26

Wanted to let you all know that Theresa hasn’t been able to log in to CC. Theresa is upset she hasn’t been able to join in our conversations. Theresa tried to log in but can’t remember her password. She requested reset password from CC. Hoping she will get a email to follow through. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2021 , 5:25am
post #16 of 26

got out my 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook and there wasn't any streusel recipe for apple pie on those pages of my book.  Just a streusel for coffee cake:

1/2 cup nuts

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup a.p. flour

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

3 tbsp. butter 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2021 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 26

thank you, mb, very sweet of you to look for me -- mine is 1950 i think -- simpler -- just my nostalgic fave -- great to 'see' you

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Dec 2021 , 5:47pm
post #18 of 26

You're welcome Kate.  Your book is 20 years older than mine, you have one of the first ones.  Probably the best one of all.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2021 , 8:00pm
post #19 of 26

it is awesome -- i checked, it's the second printing of the first edition -- although, obviously, some of the best pages are missing like the one with the sweet roll dough i do love it heart book

ReginaCoeliB Posted 2 Dec 2021 , 12:25am
post #20 of 26

1950???? Bosss, that is not a book, that is a RELIC!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2021 , 4:58pm
post #21 of 26

(i'm teasing you, reggie) all good (and ancient) catholics have one  :)

BWOOOWAHAHAHAHAAHA

-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2021 , 4:59pm
post #22 of 26

...just ask the sisters

rofl

ReginaCoeliB Posted 2 Dec 2021 , 7:01pm
post #23 of 26

Sure is a relic, all stained with the juices and bathers of hundreds of pies and cakes that not only were baked, but also eaten to death! Poor of them, they gave up their soft and crunchy crumbs for your comfort and pleasure!

Love you Boss... and your sense of humor!

Silly Reggie!

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Dec 2021 , 10:14pm
post #24 of 26

-K8 and Reggie, the two of you are a delightful pair!  You make me happy!

ReginaCoeliB Posted 3 Dec 2021 , 3:21pm
post #25 of 26

Yeah, we should think of having our own show...!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2021 , 6:50pm
post #26 of 26

I'm in!

I think this would be a good joke for a stand up comedianess -- my husband was driving and he asked me, "did I miss my turn?" I looked around briefly and said, "where are we going'

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%