Frosting Pattern On Cake (Buttercream)

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 30 Dec 2021 , 10:30pm by -K8memphis

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 12:30am
post #1 of 112

How do you do the frosting pattern on this cake?  I tried using a large flat tip and it looked terrible. Please help.  

cake

111 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 2:13am
post #2 of 112

Apply a slightly heavier/thicker coat of b’cream then use the back of a spoon to go around the cake.   Might also try using a small off set spatula 

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 2:14am
post #3 of 112

Apply a slightly heavier/thicker coat of b’cream then use the back of a spoon to go around the cake.   Might also try using a small off set spatula 

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 2:17am
post #4 of 112

just put cake on turntable, touch spoon to cake firmly but lightly & spin turntable—- not too fast.  

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 2:18am
post #5 of 112

just put cake on turntable, touch spoon to cake firmly but lightly & spin turntable—- not too fast.  

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 2:18am
post #6 of 112

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 2:21am
post #7 of 112

post #8 of 112

post #9 of 112

post #10 of 112

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 2:22am
post #11 of 112

post #12 of 112

post #13 of 112

post #14 of 112

post #15 of 112

post #16 of 112

Skidoochic Posted 20 Nov 2021 , 3:36am
post #17 of 112

Thank you!!! I will try that.  :)

post #18 of 112

post #19 of 112

kakeladi Posted 21 Nov 2021 , 7:58pm
post #20 of 112

Oh my goodness—- had no idea it posted my reply soooo many times:(.

oh well it emphasized what to do I guess hahahaha

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Nov 2021 , 12:50am
post #21 of 112

You can use a cake comb, which will achieve what you want in one go. The trouble with the spoon, is keeping perfectly steady in one spot. And getting spaced evenly in between. There are several wide ones on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/cake-comb-Home-Kitchen/s?k=cake+comb&rh=n%3A1055398

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2021 , 6:07am
post #22 of 112

Quote by @kakeladi on 21 Nov 2021 , 2:58pm

Oh my goodness—- had no idea it posted my reply soooo many times:(.

oh well it emphasized what to do I guess hahahaha

that's so funny !!   You actually do have enough knowledge that it just is many multiples of what some of us know !!!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 3 Dec 2021 , 3:31pm
post #23 of 112

I recently made this cake using the comb pictured that I bought from Amazon.  It worked perfectly.  I tried several techniques beforehand (spoon, spatula, various kitchen utensils) but this worked beautifully and quickly.  It does create a more uniform pattern, and if a rustic irregular pattern is desired, then the spoon or spatula technique would be the best.  HTH

yortma Posted 3 Dec 2021 , 4:30pm
post #24 of 112

yortma Posted 3 Dec 2021 , 4:31pm
post #25 of 112

1 hour and 3 devices later - ... cannot post photos

yortma Posted 3 Dec 2021 , 4:44pm
post #26 of 112

yortma Posted 3 Dec 2021 , 4:50pm