Anyone Around?

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 13 Dec 2021 , 2:45am by SandraSmiley

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2021 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 50

Or are you all as busy as I have been this week?  I’m finishing up my 10th cake today— all for my church fall festival.  Goodness it feels soooo good to be doing lots of decorating again but I just am not as steady, not nearly as good as I was 20-30 yrs ago:(.    What happened?:) 

49 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Oct 2021 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 50

Hi Lynne,  Boy oh boy, no way could I do 10 cakes in a week.  I bakes and frosted one yesterday and carved and ganached the pumpkin cake and though my back would break!  Today I've got to decorate the boards and cover the pumpkin with fondant.  I will probably be totally pooped by the evening.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 28 Oct 2021 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 50

Kakelady your 10th cake??? today??? I'm just finishing vacuuming and my tongue hangs all the way to my belly button! What happened...? Well, all those marvelous days in the calendar have not pass in vain! Year after year we get detached from this valley of tears to get ready for our final destination! It is soooo annoying that we can't post pictures anymore....I'll love to see pictures of those cakes! Take a break... and keep going!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 2:45am
post #4 of 50

I am still around — had a crazy few days there for a while —

te-en cakes — sounds so good! bet your house smells sweeeet! yeah the energy reserves drain as the hands on the clock keep flying around the dial —

I hope you have a fantastic fall festival!! you’re gonna make some folks very happy!!!

jack_o_lantern

ps. I can’t wait to get my christmas tree up this year — but I will wait — after being up for three, four weeks I’m over it — and I want it up for dec 25 of course so I gotta wait — but I got a few new things for it — ok, I got several new things christmas_tree  but I want some foodie type ornaments too — might have to make them — like some cupcakes and a tier cake and I’ve seen some cute macaron ornaments but not in the right colors… so we’ll see — but I’m really looking forward to that —

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 2:49am
post #5 of 50

Darnit, I wish we could post pictures!  I want to see your cakes, Lynne.  I finished my two for tomorrow except for wiring together the leaves for the pumpkin and I am pooped.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 50

Wowsers Lynne…TEN CAKES!!!!! Cannot imagine. Tired just reading this. I made my grandson’s 1st Holy Communion cake this past Tuesday (Oct 26th). Decorated while babysitting the communicants younger brother, grandson #2. And also agree, wish we could post pictures.

kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2021 , 3:08am
post #7 of 50

Well those of you on Facebook can see a couple of them.  Having trouble posting there:(.  In total I finished 12 in less than 48 hrs.  Most of the layers were baked over several days the last couple weeks & in the fzr.  And most of the cakes were 3” single layer or 4” two layer 6” rounds. 1was 3 layer 8” round basket of flowers; another 2layers in autumn motif.  Another offering was 6 - mini/ 1/2 ball cupcakes with the cutes skeletons popping up.    By the time I delivered them Thursday noon I was totally wiped out for sure

June I saw your pix over on Facebook… that suave grandson holding his cake and the baptism ones 

Sandra saw your beautiful cakes there too.  That pumpkin is sooo beautiful.  

I found an old book at the library…from 2007-  do any of you have “the cake decorators motif bible”?  I’m somewhat impressed with it & thinking of ordering one….just $6 (including shipping) for a used one.  

-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2021 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 50

clap congratulations on all your hard work, lynne  muscle

I don't have that book -- sounds like a good one!

kakeladi Posted 1 Nov 2021 , 2:55am
post #9 of 50

Thanks K8 

jchuck Posted 1 Nov 2021 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 50

Saw some of your cakes kakeladi/lynne…..wonderful!!! I’ve not heard of that decorating book, I’ll have no idea. 

Sandra, your cakes looked beautiful and sounded scrummy

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Nov 2021 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 50

Yes, Lynne, your cakes were amazing!  With so many, I thought they would be simple, but NO!  Gorgeous collection!

Thanks so much, June!

kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2021 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 50

Sandra they were simple!  Lol

All I did was make air dried flowers ahead while sitting in front of the tv then throw them on the cakes with piped leaves.  Pumpkins are fondant covered marshmallows.  All made ahead, fiddly stuff made when there was nothing on tv worth watching (again) :) 

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Nov 2021 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 50

You used a smart technique to make them simple, Lynne!  I try to make my flowers while watching TV, too, because I really don't like television and it gives me something to do and makes decorating a lot easier.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2021 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 50

lynne -- I LOVE your cakes!  raised_hands charming and so creative! pineapple berry filling wow!

clap

(I am ever so rarely on fb)

ReginaCoeliB Posted 2 Nov 2021 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 50

I don't have FB...Boooohaaaaa!

By the way ladies, the sisters gave me a call last week. My daughter is doing fine, but the community had a deep concern that she is still too young. They asked her to come back home and extend her discerning period a little longer! She is coming back this weekend... Guess who is thrilled? Please pray that my husband can make the trip and pick her in Missouri without being affected by the plague of flight cancellations of these past days!

Take care...is chilly out there... We are having our first frost tonight in NJ.

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2021 , 3:12am
post #16 of 50

Anna, it is easy to sign up for a FB account and you can confine your "friends" to only the people with which you want to keep in touch, so it will not be a headache.  We are members of a FB cake group, formed when another group, to which several of us belonged, went belly up.  It was a way to stay together.  It is called Keep Calm and Cake On.  If you decide to join FB and would like to join the group, let me know and I will send a recommendation for you.

I know she maybe conflicted, but I am thrilled for you that your daughter is coming home.  Bless the nun's hearts for considering her tender age.  I, too, pray your husband will be able to retrieve her.

It is cold as heck here, but overcast and rainy, so no frost in the forecast.  I've had the heat on in the cat houses for about two weeks.  They gotta be toasty!

A lovely, peaceful night to all.  Hugs

kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2021 , 4:01am
post #17 of 50

Interesting that your daughter is being sent home.  But…. She now has had a taste of what the life really is like so she can make a much better/ more informed  decision.  God will lead her in the long run it might be that He has a different plan for her life.  

The airlines are a real mess…. Let’s all pray for things to be straightened out for good very soon! 

kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2021 , 4:12am
post #18 of 50

Reggie how old is your daughter?  

ReginaCoeliB Posted 3 Nov 2021 , 11:25am
post #19 of 50

She turned 17 in September...Actually, she was the youngest candidate they ever had. I do agree everything you said. She had a taste already and will know better how to proceed next year. I also thank the sisters, they have been thru fire themselves and perfectly know how hard it is to embrace such a radical way of life. I was very happy to see that they were watchful and ready to send someone home rather than to watch her burn!

And oh, I have so many plans for these coming months! I guess she will give me the energy I need now to work the food manager certificate and the paperwork for selling goodies here!

Thaaanks ladies for your warm lines and prayers! I'll keep you posted! 

jchuck Posted 3 Nov 2021 , 10:41pm
post #20 of 50

kakeladi…smart doing your fiddly bits in front of the tv. And using marshmallows for your wee pumpkins…great idea!! 

Regina/Reggie/Anna….. I agree joining fb you can accept friends you want. Keep it small. And Keep Calm and Cake On is a great cakey group. Lots of loverly members. Group started in UK, but members from all over. My first ever cakey fb group was in South Africa. Not sure Sandra was a member?? Although I loved the lovely lady that started the group, the talented Neryl Johnson, who invited me, I opted out. Everything cake related was based in SA, which I couldn’t get on with it.. And lots of posts in Afrikaan. Constantly having to translate. 

And as for your daughter…I’m confused as age wise, 17, I was still in my last year of high school. Graduated at 18. So did your daughter graduate high school?  I absolutely cannot imagine leaving for anything at that age. Although it’s common in sports, prep school….etc. We had the opportunity to send our then 16 year old son to a prep school. Firstly, couldn’t afford. Secondly, we felt our son was too young, especially his emotional IQ. And I’m so very glad the nuns took your daughters age and emotional IQ into consideration. Just not her time. Hopefully after daughter’s time spent at the convent she will be able to make a decision on her future. God’s work can be done in so many different ways. And will pray your husband will be able to get a flight without too much trouble. ❤️

ReginaCoeliB Posted 3 Nov 2021 , 11:47pm
post #21 of 50

Well ladies... I think no FB still...If I'm going to think of selling goodies... that's it. Enough trouble homeschooling and baking...FB will be too much...I know my miseries...I don't want to add another vice!

Regarding my daughter, yes, she graduated from high school. Because I homeschool, she was able to advance quickly. We do Seton homeschooling which Catholic homeschoolers consider veeery demanding and she graduated with a great GPA. But having a diploma gives you none of the experience you need for life... just a bunch of knowledge worth nothing if you do not have the experience and mature attitude that takes to embrace life as it comes. Sure at 17 some young ladies that had a difficult life know how to handle themselves and survive... But not my tender sweet girl...She doesn't even know how to drive! As I said, sisters have a critical eye to see the strengths and weaknesses the candidates have. So far, I'm very thankful to the sisters and to God for this extra 8 months...

Thanks for the prayers for my poor hubby...oh poor man 24 hour of terror from NJ to MO. Keep you posted

We will have another frost tonight...How chilly is in Canada today?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2021 , 1:33am
post #22 of 50

oh wow -- how very very wonderful that she's coming home for a while -- not her but it takes some of us a lifetime to mature, she just needs some more sunshine and rain, wise of the sisters -- praying for your husband traveling! and all y'all!

jchuck Posted 4 Nov 2021 , 2:28pm
post #23 of 50

Regina….keep us informed of your husband’s travel and return with your daughter. 

In Canada we had our first frost this past Tuesday. We even had a few snow flurries in the mid afternoon….yikes!!  But my geraniums are still thriving!!! Always amazed that we don’t water, and even in the cold they continue to grow. There’s a godly message in there somewhere. Our weather here would be similar to NJ. 

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Nov 2021 , 2:49am
post #24 of 50

We had our first heavy frost last night and expecting more tonight.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 7 Nov 2021 , 6:41pm
post #25 of 50

I'm still here.  Been watching. Last time I tried to comment I got an empty space. 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 7 Nov 2021 , 11:11pm
post #26 of 50

Everybody survived the trip. Hubby and daughter at home last night. Mom is HAAAAPPPYYY! Oh thanks ladies for your prayers and support!!! You rock!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2021 , 2:20am
post #27 of 50

purple_heart YAY! home safe and mom's happy! that'll work! blue_heart

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Nov 2021 , 3:38am
post #28 of 50

Hi littlejewel!  Glad you are still with us.

Woohoo!  I am so happy your daughter and husband are back home safely.  What a sweet reunion you must have had!

jchuck Posted 10 Nov 2021 , 9:09pm
post #29 of 50

Wonderful news Regina your daughter got home safely ❤️❤️

kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2021 , 5:02pm
post #30 of 50

Hay everyone it’s been quiet here for a few days.  What’s going on everyone?  

As usual not much.  Did a couple cakes with one more coming up in a couple days—will bake that today. Strawberry for a young women.  Haven’t decided on a design yet :( 

Regina how about an update.  How is daughter doing at home?  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%