Fondant On Refrigerated Buttercream

Decorating By Alohachic Updated 15 Oct 2021 , 2:39pm by SandraSmiley

Alohachic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohachic Posted 15 Oct 2021 , 2:27am
post #1 of 3

I have a customer who wants a cake covered in buttercream. I have already baked the cake and it is covered in buttercream in the refrigerator. It will have marshmallow fondant flowers attached to it before he picks it up. My big question is will my fondant be destroyed if he takes this cake refrigerated 2hours away. The party isn’t until the next day. I’m afraid the Fondant will draw moisture and fall apart in between being refrigerated and then thawing on a 2 hour drive. Then being refrigerated again?  But in order to make the trip this cake really needs to be refrigerated. I’m concerned

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Oct 2021 , 3:02am
post #2 of 3

No fears my dear.  I regularly use fondant decorations on b’cream.   Since we can’t upload pictures (boohoo!) I can’t show you any.  I’ve often froze some too. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Oct 2021 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 3

I refrigerate with fondant details on buttercream frequently.  However, they are flat, not flowers.  I would not put the flowers on the cake, if it is going to be refrigerated.  I would put them in a separate box and show whomever picks up the cake where they are to be placed, when the cake is ready to be displayed.  I did once make a teddy bear with buttercream fur and a fondant bow around his neck.  He was left on the counter overnight and the next morning his bow was a sad, droopy mess from the moisture in the buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%