Semi Naked Wedding Gift Cake Update

Decorating By mumstheword Updated 2 days ago by -K8memphis

mumstheword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumstheword Posted 4 days ago
post #1 of 12

Thanks again for all your help !! 

So in terms of an update - bride decided all layers should be chocolate Madeira. I went for 10, 8 and 6 - purely for practical reasons. I baked 2 deep  cakes for each layer and plan splitting each so each tier has 3 layers.  I really didn’t realise how much cake this needs !!  Each cake is in the freezer. So. Much. Cake

11 replies
post #2 of 12

Urgh

post #3 of 12

Ah I can reply to this ! Only half of my earlier post is shown. 

I need to prepare the cake Thursday night as I have commitments on Wednesday. So I will need to prepare the buttercream through the day - later level and split the cakes, fill and buttercream and stack. Do you think that’s feasible? 

i have enough butter and icing sugar to sink a ship. Cake boards for stacking and dowels. I bought a Wilton icing tip to hopefully speed things up. I have small flowers and a cake drum the man whole cake goes in a lovely rustic stand the bridegroom made.

Have I forgotten anything ? 

I very much appreciate any words of wisdom ! I will take pics of the last stages .. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 days ago
post #4 of 12

Sounds like you are ready.  Just take every tool you could possibly need.  Never know when you might want one & don’t have it—so frustrating.  

As said before you can split & fill then crumb coat any time now then freeze well wrapped.    I swear by that icing tip.  It should make it much faster.  Don’t know if it’s right but I put the serrated side against the cake — smooth side up.  My thinking is how a shoe sole has a design (it’s not smooth) to grip the floor so the serrated side will grip the cake & hole better.  

mumstheword Posted 3 days ago
post #5 of 12

Quote by @kakeladi on 1 hour ago

Sounds like you are ready.  Just take every tool you could possibly need.  Never know when you might want one & don’t have it—so frustrating.  

As said before you can split & fill then crumb coat any time now then freeze well wrapped.    I swear by that icing tip.  It should make it much faster.  Don’t know if it’s right but I put the serrated side against the cake — smooth side up.  My thinking is how a shoe sole has a design (it’s not smooth) to grip the floor so the serrated side will grip the cake & hole better.  

Thank you ! As it's already frozen do you think i could split and crumb coat a layer tonight then chill and wrap well and keep in fridge? Dont think i could put it back in freezer?

kakeladi Posted 3 days ago
post #6 of 12

If you haven’t already go ahead and do it.  It CAN be refrozen.  Will travel better & keep fresher. 

kakeladi Posted 3 days ago
post #7 of 12

Remind us how far you need w travel with this?  I know the weather isn’t very hot there … what’s the temperature?  If anything under 80 degrees F you will be fine … no problems:) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 days ago
post #8 of 12

do you have a box for delivery?

mumstheword Posted 3 days ago
post #9 of 12

Hi

I started the middle tier today.  Maybe i shouldn't have, because i was rushing..  it's filled with choc ganache in the middle and buttercream dam.

It's level and crumb coated but i am really disappointed - it was frozen and tried to be really tidy in prep but it's full of choc cake crumbs. If i chill it and add another coat of buttercream will that be hidden? I really envisioned a smoth clear coating (although the pic the bride sent looks crumby!)

I have to travel about 15 miles with it and will need to take a helper in the car, and i have a box to cover it with... 

A

mumstheword Posted 2 days ago
post #10 of 12

Here’s how middle layer looks with crumb coat - can I hide the choc crumbs with another coat ? 

mumstheword Posted 2 days ago
post #11 of 12

Photo won’t upload

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 days ago
post #12 of 12

Idk -- without seeing it, I would suggest scraping it off and putting it back on -- but maybe it will crumb up again? 

but you can't crumb coat a semi-naked cake, can you? 

if it was me, and since it gets a rustic finish anyway -- I would consider picking off the crumbs if possible -- or take a piece of the top that you leveled off and roll it over the crumbs to gather them up --

if all else fails, could you just ever so slightly shave the edges to get them cleaned off then ice over?

idk -- but I hate this is happening!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%