Naked Wedding Cake Gift

Baking By mumstheword Updated 29 Sep 2021 , 2:52pm by SandraSmiley

mumstheword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumstheword Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 11:30am
post #1 of 8

Hello

Looking for some assistance from the wise!

I'm a hobby baker - nothing more! After a lot of years of making lots of kids birthday cakes, which i have loved decorating, i've been asked to make a 3 tier wedding cake. Argh. I reminded them i am far from professional but they insisted. So I am making the cake for their wedding present.

The've asked for a 3 tier naked cake like this https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/3096293485650846/  I am doing my best to prepare ahead of the actual bake and decorate.  I realise i will need dowels and cake boards to stack the cake and a cake drum. I am also hunting for the right decorations. 

I had planned a 12" chocolate madeira, an 8" vanilal madeira and 5" lemon madeira cake .. but do you think the 12" would be best swapped with a 10"?  Or any other size combinations!?

Thanks so much for any advice!

A

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 8

size usually depends on the amount of servings you need -- another factor is whether they will freeze the top tier for the first anniversary -- in that case it would be that the amount of servings would be handled by the bottom two tiers --

now this can be controlled by the cake server but often when there's more than one flavor, people want to try them all -- another factor to consider is, who will cut the cake -- if aunt louise's twin fourteen yr olds serve the cake the portion size might be more generous than if the caterer did it --

so answer some of those questions and we're in business -- that style should be a breeze for you -- is this your first tier cake?

plus is this a cake & mints & nuts reception or a meal? and that is usually determined by time of day -- if wedding & reception are during a mealtime you serve food -- if scheduled for like 10 am, 2 or 3 pm, etc then cake will suffice -- 

I understand some of these decisions are not yours to make -- you just gotta ask your client -- so you can finalize the size --

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 8

oh I just looked through your gallery -- you'll do great!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 8

one other tidbit -- a 12x8x5 might serve 100 servings give or take a few -- so even at a low of $4 a serving that's a $400 gift, not counting delivery and tax - so going forward if another opportunity arises just consider if this person is someone you would literally purchase a $400+ gift for --

best to you

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 8

good to see someone from across the pond on here. You will do fine. You got this

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 8

Your cake gallery shows your more than capable of making the wedding cake. You can buy molds to make leaves and pine cones. And agree with all K8memphis advice.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 8

ps -- if you're gonna go with a 12" bottom, I think and a lot of decorators think a 12x9x6 to be the prettiest size tier cake -- it's just a beautiful proportion --

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 8

I agree with June and Kate that you are more than capable of executing this cake.  I also agree with Kate that 12 x 9 x 6 is a perfectly proportioned cake and more stable than the also popular 12 x 10 x 8.

Since this is your first wedding cake, to help save your nerves, I would suggest that you transport the cake unstacked, in separate boxes, then stack at the venue.  Or, if you prefer, the 12 x 9 x 6 is very stable anyway, if all tiers are level and doweled correctly, but a dowel hammered all the way through the cake and into the cake drum at the base would add additional support.  This really is not necessary, however, if you transport cold and drive carefully.  Oh, and skid proof (like the stuff used to keep area rugs in place) rubber under the cake (inside the box) and under the box (in the car) helps too.

The most important thing that I've learned, transport COLD!  I use Serdar Yener's portable cooler to transport even single tier cakes in the winter.  For more difficult deliveries, like a tiered cake in warm weather, it is an absolute life saver and cost nothing!  The only thing I do differently is to leave one side of the box open, instead of the top, and slide the cake in and out.  Much easier than trying to lower it into the box and lift it out again.

Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%