Need Refrigeration?

Decorating By Cakelady04 Updated 23 Sep 2021 , 11:28pm by jchuck

Cakelady04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady04 Posted 23 Sep 2021 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 6

I have a buttercream recipe that contains butter and pasturized egg whites.   How long can a cake decorated with these ingredients stay out of the refrigerator? Does it require refrigeration? I am starting a cottage business and the law in Missouri says that the items cannot require refrigeration. 

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2021 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 6

I think you are going to have to submit the recipe to your health department.

cant guarantee this but I have been told that the amount of sugar renders it safe — without refrigeration  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2021 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 6

How ever my experience with health departments is each inspector has their own interpretation of each rule :( 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2021 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 6

very very true what lynne said — even within the same health department like she said, inspectors are not on the same page — gotta ask them

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 23 Sep 2021 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 6

You may use pasteurized egg whites, but once out of the carton, they decompose very quickly if not refrigerated. I will keep the buttercream refrigerated. All of this regarding what your cottage law says!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 23 Sep 2021 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 6

As others have posted, you really need to check with your local health department. It varies so much for each area where you live. Best of luck 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%