Tips For Displaying Fondant Cake Outside In Hot Humid Climate?

Decorating By chudimac11 Updated 2 Sep 2021 , 9:41pm by chudimac11

chudimac11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chudimac11 Posted 31 Aug 2021 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

We live in Florida and I run into this dilemma every year. We have all of our birthday parties outside, but of course it is hot and humid. This year our birthday party will start in the evening (in September), so a little less heat and no Sun to worry about but still warm and humid. I really want to have my fondant cake displayed outside. Are there any tips on things I can do to help the cake last?

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Aug 2021 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 5

I would not even consider it.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 31 Aug 2021 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 5

Fondant is tricky because it’s so susceptible to humidity. I’ve done  3 bday cakes done for my grandson’s for a park birthday. Actually 2 at the beach. And it was hot, hot, hot!!!  I opted for 70/30 ganache/buttercream. I kept my cake in a cooler, on a board, filled with ice packs. Didn’t remove until about 15 minutes before serving. Icing stayed nice and firm. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2021 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 5

I don’t have experience with humidity so I may be way off base here…. I’m thinking to have a shallow tub of ice, covered with a plastic tablecloth then the cake on top.  

Freeze the ice in large chunks—like gallon jugs — as they will melt slower than say cubes 

chudimac11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chudimac11 Posted 2 Sep 2021 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%