Fondant Wine Bottle Cake

Decorating By juljenki Updated 13 Aug 2021 , 12:39am by SandraSmiley

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 11 Aug 2021 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 8

I made a fondant wine bottle to put on top of a cake which will be covered on four sides with fondant that looks like wood can I put this all together ahead of time and store in the fridge or will it damage my fondant pieces. The sides will be fondant panels. Thanks

7 replies
juljenki Posted 11 Aug 2021 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 8

PS the wedding is this Saturday!! Can I do the cake today or tomorrow and store in fridge??

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2021 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 8

I think your fondant wood paneling will be fine, but to be on the safe side, I would leave the wine bottle out of the fridge and add it once the cake has been removed.  If you have room, put your cake in a box and seal it with plastic wrap.  When you take it out of the fridge, let it set at room temperature, still sealed in the box, to all any condensate to dry.

juljenki Posted 12 Aug 2021 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your help. One other ? Is the cake is on a couple layers of cardboard glued together and also covered in fondant. Can that be stored in fridge too if I wrap as you suggested? I thought wrap in plastic and then foil put in a box then fridge nervous about it all getting soggy??? 

juljenki Posted 12 Aug 2021 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 8

Another ? How do I apply my wine labels onto the fondant wine bottle. Should I use edible glue or piping gel??? Thanks again so much 

juljenki Posted 12 Aug 2021 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 8

Another ? How do I apply my wine labels onto the fondant wine bottle. Should I use edible glue or piping gel??? Thanks again so much 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Aug 2021 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 8

My somewhat limited experience with fondant is when boxed then wrapped in plastic there will be no problems as long as it comes to room temperature before unwanting.    As for adding labels again I have limited knowledge.  I’ve always used fresh fondant to fresh or dry by using a blob of fondant between the two.  I don’t think piping gel will work.  Use the glue or just brush lightly with water.   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2021 , 12:39am
post #8 of 8

Sure, the whole thing can be stored in the refrigerator and you can just wrap it in a couple of layers of plastic wrap, if the wrap will not damage anything on the cake.  Probably would not, since it is fondant.  I have even kept fondant cakes in the fridge overnight completely unwrapped.  When I brought them out to warm to room temperature, a small amount of condensate did form on the fondant, but it dried in about an hour without damage.  It is not as fragile as you might think.

As kakeladi said, you can slightly dampen the fondant to stick on the label.  If that doesn't seem enough, you could use an edible glue made with tylose and water or piping gel thinned to a liquid with water.  Again, only a small amount is needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%