Mccormick Culinary Imitation Almond Extract

Decorating By LMAK Updated 12 Aug 2021 , 7:56pm by cakefan92

LMAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LMAK Posted 6 Aug 2021 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever used this? I bought some and used it like the regular I buy at my local store but something seems different in the taste???

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2021 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 7

Not heard of it.   Not one to try expensive flavorings as this sounds it would be.  Remember we all have very different taste buds so what you like I might hate:).  I recently read a thread on Facebook about Mexican vanilla and how it has a “different “ taste.  It might just be a much stronger flavor. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Aug 2021 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 7

The only imitation flavoring I ever use is clear vanilla and only rarely, only when a bright white frosting is required.  I don't find almond extract to be very expensive, certainly only a fraction of the cost of real vanilla, and I always use the pure version.  I've use several different brands, including McCormick, and they were all good.

Mexican Vanilla!!!  That stuff is all over the place.  Many, many years ago, I brought my mom (and one for me too) a quart of vanilla from Mexico and it was wonderful, best we'd ever had.  After she ran out, Mama was grieving because no other vanilla was as good.  One of my friends, who was vacationing in Mexico, brought back a bottle for both my mom and me and it was horrible.  To me, it tasted like dirty water.  I bought some at Kroger, a few years ago, just to see how it taste and it was a waste of money.  Give me Nielsen-Massey Pure Bourbon Madagascar Vanilla every time.  My second choice is McComick's Pure Vanilla Extract.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2021 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 7

Sandra I can get an 8 oz bottle of Mexican v at a 99 cent only store in town.  I’ve been using it exclusively for a couple years now.  Remember I don’t sell.  My cakes are donated to people through a group Cake4Kids.org   I never get any feedback:(  but it smells good — LOL 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Aug 2021 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 7

Like I said, kakeladi, I think the Mexican vanilla is all over the place.  The first bottle we used was absolutely fabulous.  The other two I tried didn't even taste like vanilla.  I think it is all in the brand.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Aug 2021 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 7

The only imitation flavoring I use is clear vanilla, for specific baking purpose. I use real almond extract, as I find the imitation smells chemically to me. 

I have bought vanilla in Mexico many times. They were all good. It was Sandra, a specific brand. Can’t remember the name, but no the label when I see it.  I was given a bottle 11/2 years ago  from son/d-in-lw that were in Mexico. Opened it last week….terrible. Absolutely terrible, no vanilla smell at all. I’m glad I didn’t pay for it.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 12 Aug 2021 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 7

PSA

Just wanted to drop in here and let ya'll know . . . anyone who has used the Chai Spice flavoring from McCormick and hasn't been able to find it for the last 10 years - - I found some Saturday at a gun show, of all places.  Watkins sells it and you'll have to find a Watkins distributor but you can get it.

That is all.

Thanks.  

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%