Mmf Troubleshooting

Sugar Work By Icekitsune Updated 11 Jul 2021 , 12:31am by SandraSmiley

Icekitsune Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icekitsune Posted 10 Jul 2021 , 2:40am
post #1 of 3

Hi everybody, I made my first batch of marshemellow fondant based on websites and I need some guidance. I have alot of questions. I used ratio of about 1 lb icing sugar to 10 oz mm with 2 tbsp water and Cristo just to coat. I have seen recipes to 8 oz. I never made or eaten fondant but would like something that taste good and I read good things. First, does it need to sit for 24 hours prior to use? I tried rolling it out to put on the cake and it was kinda ok lifting it, then it started stretching on its weight near the ends. Idk if it's too thin, it didn't seem too soft as in it stretched when pull and broke off after like 2 inches, wasn't sticky. I didn't have any of those tylose or cmc stuff I seen but some people had success putting on cake and making figures without 

Secondly, another batch waited the next day, stored wrapped in xrisxo airtight, was really really hard to knead. It's doable but i had to do small batches to color it and gradually increase but it was like playdoh left out  for a day. I ran out of cisco so I used oil. I nuked 15 sec and that became super sticky again. 

Thirdly, the fondant isn't smooth.maybe all those video with super clean looking like fabric is a dream. I sifted the sugar and melted all the mm before adding sugar. It looks like random dry cracks, weird craters here and there. Air pockets? Even making figures, it just looks like I smashed puts together and kneading it, you can tell there's seams. Is this normal? I hope not 

Last(for now), I know it'd made of marshemellow so there some kind of stretchy news but for example if I want to make letters it needs to sharp angle, when I roll a greased knife across, it just drags the fondant. 

I am so sorry but thanks for reading. No friend or family makes any cakes so I'm venturing out. I want to give it another try because ppl said it taste good. Unless there is another one that is better and still takes goodd. Im not a fan of work on this thing so long just for people to peel off. I made mff before, though never used in cake. 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2021 , 11:36am
post #2 of 3

I made mmf once — it worked well for me but idk how to troubleshoot yours — if you want to try adding a powder you can try cornstarch but I only add it to fondant that I model with, not to fondant used for cake covering — would think adding oil instead of shortening would change things up way too much — 

I prefer store bought fondant — I used satin ice fondant mostly — so much easier than making it — 

only help I can think of is try the mmf recipes here on cake central — read the comments and use the one with the highest rating —

best to you

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jul 2021 , 12:31am
post #3 of 3

Number one, it takes a little practice to cover a cake perfectly with fondant, no matter the brand or type.  I am including Liz Marek's video and recipe for making her marshmallow fondant, which is very well received by professionals and hobby bakers, easy and inexpensive to make.  It tells you everything you need to know.

As to getting sharp edges when cutting out shapes, a very sharp Xacto knife or a pizza cutter work best. Also, the blade must be kept completely clean and dry, so clean after ever couple of cuts.  It is also important that you add Tylose, CMC, GumTex, or some form of gum to make the fondant sturdy and dry quicker and harder.  I know -K8 always advising kneading in powdered sugar or cornstarch.  I've never tried that, but I believe anything she says about cake decorating.

I agree, oil is not a substitute for shortening, just not the same.

To make it easier to knead, I always put my fondant in the microwave for a few seconds and do work with smaller pieces, maybe 1/4 of the batch at a time.  Hope this helps.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/fondant-recipe/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%