First Time Fondant User For Cake, Have Questions.

Decorating By Icekitsune Updated 29 Jun 2021 , 7:32pm by -K8memphis

Icekitsune Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icekitsune Posted 27 Jun 2021 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everybody thank you for reading, I’m planning on making a PVZ cake for my nephew next week and I’m planning on making square fondant pieces to go on top of the cake as well as some small figurines.I don’t know much about fondants that I did some research and most likely I will be doing marshmallow fondant (unless there is better recommendations) My concern is that how far in advance can I make the fondant ahead of time. I’ve seen upto 5 weeks base color fondant in fridge/room temp at airtight containers and a week for made figurines at room temp in card board box. These figurines will be eaten (there’s going to be 4kids) what would you recommend as a time frame because these will be eaten as in is it safe to make it far in advance (heat and humidity,food safety) but it needs time to dry as well (24hr?) and I read that It is recommended to let the colour in the fondant sit for 24 hours before making figurines. It will probably sit on the square fondant on top of ganache. If there’s any pictures or further suggestions on fondant making or prior pvz cake I would appreciate it. I’m very new to cake making 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2021 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

you are biting off a lot for your first cake -- I would want to encourage you to have prior use of fondant before you dive in -- there are so many variables -- so with that in mind I would suggest making or buying your fondant now and working with it to see how it performs for you --

if your figurines work out -- great! just keep them for the cake -- if not then you still have time to do over without the stress of the deadline on you --

for a project like yours I would knead in additional corn starch so the items dry well, keep their shape and stay nice & crisp --

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2021 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 4

when you get ready to sculpt — roll a ball of fondant and let it sit there for ten minutes — if it starts to flatten out — then you gotta add something to get it to set up better —

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2021 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 4

and — just start a new post if you have more questions— new members can’t always ‘reply’ to posts even their own threads —

best to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%