What Would You Do? Too Much/not Enough Batter

Baking By imartsy Updated 29 Apr 2021 , 9:34am by tesso

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 22 Apr 2021 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a chocolate cake for my child's birthday. There's going to be a "ramp" in the front I was going to make out of vanilla cake - a 1 late 8 inch cake, halved, stacked and carved. I figured it would provide a bit of white to guests who might not like chocolate. 

At the same time, the receipe I was using didn't fill my 8 inch cake pans, so I doubled it. Now I'm left with too much chocolate batter. I haven't started the white cake. 

What would you do? Make the white cake AND chocolate? Decide to do two tiers even though I know that's more cake than I need? Cupcakes? Forget about white cake and just hope everyone likes chocolate? 

Thanks!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2021 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 6

yes, forget the white cake 

do cupcakes with the extra

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 6

or of course make the ramp with the extra batter but it's too late now probably

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 6

I'd forget about the white cake.  Who wants white cake if you can hav chocolate?!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Apr 2021 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 6

You can freeze batter, up to 3 months. You can also scoop frozen cake batter right into cupcake papers and bake. No need to thaw. 

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Apr 2021 , 9:34am
post #6 of 6

jchuck nailed it. freeze that batter.  love the scoop idea for cup cakes. I freeze my extra batter in throw away plastic icing bags. I bought a bag sealer years ago. add batter to bags, seal them, that way if you need just a little batter for a few cupcakes, just grab a bag snip the end and squeeze into cupcake/or pan. throw bag away. and blessed be.. no clean up!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%