Cake Bible

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 24 Apr 2021 , 8:04pm by jchuck

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 11

Hi friends, most of you have heard me on here fiercely hating air bubbles/holes in my scratch cakes...I've had the Cake Bible for years and that issue is not addressed at all in the book.  It just surprises me that that isn't even mentioned in such a detailed, scientific book. Sometimes I will use the reverse creaming method and I don't see any difference in amount of holes. What's so baffling to me is that probably about 2 yrs ago is when I started noticing them so bad. I'm 65 so I've been baking that exact same recipe for decades with perfect results, soft, tight crumb, no holes. Same mixer, same brand of ingredients, same mix times, temps, etc. 

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 11

Those air bubbles are going to give you a stroke, not to mention gray hair, MamaGeese!  Just don't look at them!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 11

Soooo weird cause I can honestly say I’ve never had holes in my cake. I also have the Cake Bible book. Rose Levy Beranbaum does have a blog. I’ve found answers to many baking questions on the blog. I do know sometimes it’s not your recipe or method, but inferior ingredients. Meaning, possibly bad batch of flour, baking powder. It happens.   https://bakingwithblondie.com/?fbclid=IwAR2XeAaoxpgJTZQngLalUjpvxgAJs0m5eptkVDKGBdh0lmg9vCOcNKTESDc

MamaGeese Posted 22 Apr 2021 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 11

I'm so obsessive....lol. 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 12:14am
post #5 of 11

Ok MamaGeese, repeat after me...Bubbles are friends, bubbles are hot, bubbles occur naturally in cakes, bubbles are cute, bubbles are the new trend, bubbles are better than Covid vaccines, if I don't get bubbles on my cake is because I'm baking a brick... once a cycle is completed, restart until the matter is settled in! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 12:47am
post #6 of 11

Anna (ReginaCoeliB), you are a genius!

ReginaCoeliB Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 12:55am
post #7 of 11

My dad is obsessive-compulsive... I kind of know how to handle this kind of issues ;)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2021 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 11

when your batter is all mixed and ready to go sift or sieve it into the pan -- if it still gets holes it is conclusively the ingredients ~

MamaGeese Posted 24 Apr 2021 , 1:30am
post #9 of 11

Y'all are too funny.....I'm officially "over it" 

i love this place, y'all feel like my cake sisters ❤️

ReginaCoeliB Posted 24 Apr 2021 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 11

MamaGeese, that is the idea behind this forum...post an issue and end with a smile and your face...! Welcome to the Cake Sorority! We are happy and blessed to be here as well!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Apr 2021 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 11

MamaGeese I tried to upload a photo from a live demo from Zoe’s fancy cakes. But I think photo is protected. Any Zoe’s cake was full of HOLES!!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%