Best Chocolate Kids Birthday Cake Recipe?

Baking By imartsy Updated 20 Apr 2021 , 12:43pm by SandraSmiley

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Apr 2021 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 4

I used to bake all the time - then I had kids and it's been a while. My almost 5 year old hasn't really had a birthday party with friends and we have one coming up. He loves the chocolate cake at Costco with the cream filling. I was thinking of using the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe that is on the back of the Hershey's cocoa powder and I saw a Costco-copycat cream filling. Just looking for feedback - would you suggest a different cake for an outdoor party? i'm a little worried it may be too chocolatey or not appealing enough to kids... or too hard to decorate. We will be outdoors, so I'm trying to think about that in my planning too. I've used doctored box cake mix in the past but I've often ended up with not enough batter or the layers not rising enough and thought maybe I'd try something different. Thanks for helping my anxieties with your tips! :) 

3 replies
littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 19 Apr 2021 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 4

My son is a chocolate kid and he loves these chocolate cake recipes: https://joyofbaking.com/cakes/SimpleChocolateCake.html  and https://joyofbaking.com/ChocolateCake.html ok all jokes aside my son and his cousins loved the cake those recipes produce

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2021 , 12:26am
post #3 of 4

I love the joy of baking website so i'm sure the cakes there are fabulous -- still I would vote for the one on the hershey's can -- nostalgic favorite 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Apr 2021 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 4

I've made about a million of the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate chocolate cakes and it is hard to beat, super moist and chocolatey.  The only drawback to this recipe is that it is very tender and not sturdy enough for carving.  As to the party being outside, I would suggest you keep the cake inside until shortly before serving or keep it in a cooler.  If you don't have a cooler large enough, you can make one using Seder Yenner's tutorial.                                                  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%