Pricing A Cake With Dummy Layers For Wedding

Baking By Chanelfargesen Updated 15 Apr 2021 , 2:25am by SandraSmiley

Chanelfargesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chanelfargesen Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!

I was asked to make a wedding cake with 6 tiers starting from 4'' all the way to 14" with the top two tiers (4" and 6") being cake and the rest dummies. The bride wants a gorgeous buttercream cake, but for only a small party. I am located in New York City. I have never created a cake with dummies and don't know how to properly price. My starting price for two tiered cakes is $110 so I figured I can charge $110 for the top two tiers and then not exactly sure what to do about the dummies. All advice is welcomed! Thanks so much. 

PS. I am charging for delivery

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 5

charge for a six tier cake because almost all of the same work is being done for a six tier -- there are other considerations to factor in to balance out the fact there is less baking -- you need to secure the dummies onto a nail and a board or whatever process you want in order to decorate them -- you still have to purchase the dummies too so it's the same as any other six tier in my book --

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 5

K8memphis advice is bang on the money. You still will be using just as much buttercream on the dummy tiers as on the real ones. And takes just as much time to decorate.  And as K8memphis said, securing the dummies properly has to be considered in the price too. And styrofoam dummies aren’t  necessarily cheap. Depends on availability and supplier.  And if you’re adding  any other embellishments, molded pieces, flowers etc, they have to go the dummy tiers the same as real. So charge as if the whole cake is real cake. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2021 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 5

K8memphis advice is bang on the money. You still will be using just as much buttercream on the dummy tiers as on the real ones. And takes just as much time to decorate.  And as K8memphis said, securing the dummies properly has to be considered in the price too. And styrofoam dummies aren’t  necessarily cheap. Depends on availability and supplier.  And if you’re adding  any other embellishments, molded pieces, flowers etc, they have to go the dummy tiers the same as real. So charge as if the whole cake is real cake. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Apr 2021 , 2:25am
post #5 of 5

Ditto what -K8 and June said!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%