Pistachio Cake

Baking By juljenki Updated 23 Feb 2021 , 5:40am by kakeladi

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 20 Feb 2021 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hi , I’m making the wasc cake and was wondering if I could add a pkg of instant pistachio pudding to the mix and some finely chopped pistachios? Will I need to add more liquid?? I wanted a pistachio taste and the filling will be raspberry purée. Thanks for your help.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2021 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 7

idk -- a long time ago, people used to add pudding mix to cake mix all the time -- then the cake mix makers caught on and started adding it to the mix themselves -- except Duncan Hines didn't much -- but every time I tried to do it myself the cake didn't turn out right for me -- I did a quick search online and the pistachio pudding plus cake mix recipes I found were for bundt cakes --

so I hope someone with good experience with this chimes in for you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2021 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 7

there's 25 recipes for pistachio cake here on cc:

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/query/pistachio-cake

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 21 Feb 2021 , 1:20am
post #4 of 7

What if I used the original wasc mix added about 1 or 1/1/2 cups pistachios and used pistachio extract and a dash of green food coloring? This is for a wedding cake do want it to be firm texture

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 21 Feb 2021 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 7

Never tried it with pustachio pudding mix but I had good result with caramel. I guess it would behave the same. Yes your cake batter will be thicker than usual because of the pudding mix, but do not add liquid. Made that mustake once and the cake kinda never cook and stay gummy and dense. Texture of the cake should be great without adding liquid to the batter. Why dont you try one batch for any of your favorite guinea pig as a test run?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Feb 2021 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

I have an old recipe called Watergate Cake which is made with a cake mix with a package of pistachio pudding added and it is delicious, one of my mom's favorites.  I dont' think it would make a lot of difference in the amount of liquid added to the WASC recipe, but do it and if it seems too stiff, add more liquid.  Cake is pretty forgiving in that way.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2021 , 5:40am
post #7 of 7

I have made butter pecan cake using French vanilla mix & adding 1/3 cup finely ground pecans.   Settled on the 1/3 cup after starting out with 1+ cup.  It just was too much.  Went down to 2/3 c .... then 1/2 .... then to 1/3 to duplicate the box mix that Betty Crocker put out but could not be found in the stores.  Recently see it’s back on the shelf at Walmart. 

Now I’ve never made a pistachio cake so not sure if you need 1 1/2 — you might only need 1/3 to 1/2 cup. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%